Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VFTs

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyr View Post
    No problem. For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3 to 3 1/2 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out, clean them up and hit them with SULFUR based fungicide again and place in a south and west window and some under florescent and white 'daylight' LED lights until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for 12 years with no losses.

I grow my sarrs in peat/perlite 50/50. I lost a lot of them last year (kept them outside in an unheated storage room) and only the Flavas survived.

Tom
    I, too, place most of my vfts in dormancy in winter, in my case because I can't begin to have enough room to grow all of those plants indoors. I have heard that sulfur-based fungicides don't work well with Drosera so I had never tried them with Dionaea. 'Good to hear that this is an option because I like the fact that they are low-toxicity to humans and pets and they tend to persist well. Fungus is a very real concern with dormant plants.

I am a big advocate of growing your plants in a way that brings you the best results. This is going to vary between different growers - sometimes by a lot. It is good to hear discussions about successful methods, even if they seem very far apart. There is always more to learn.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I am a big advocate of growing your plants in a way that brings you the best results. This is going to vary between different growers - sometimes by a lot. It is good to hear discussions about successful methods, even if they seem very far apart. There is always more to learn.
    Well I believe in growing them as close to their natural way as possible and to me that means they get dormancy every year. It's unnatural for them NOT to get dormancy. It makes zero sense to me to not give them dormancy. But whatever floats people's boats I guess.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would you mind telling me which sulfer based fungicide you use? and do you mix it to the strength on label or something weaker? just trying to cut my losses and putting them in a 45 degree basement moist but not wet has resulted in almost 30% losses each year... i live in boston area so winters are just too harsh to keep outside.
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthesl0ve View Post
    would you mind telling me which sulfer based fungicide you use? and do you mix it to the strength on label or something weaker? just trying to cut my losses and putting them in a 45 degree basement moist but not wet has resulted in almost 30% losses each year... i live in boston area so winters are just too harsh to keep outside.
    Bonide and I mix it at around 1/4 to 1/2 strength. Wow, 45 degrees should be just fine, fridges are typically 38-40 F.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyr View Post
    Bonide and I mix it at around 1/4 to 1/2 strength. Wow, 45 degrees should be just fine, fridges are typically 38-40 F.
    yeah temps are good so maybe its pathogens like fungus that are my problem. ill try using bonide for next season
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123