What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worms!

• Thread starter Cynic81
  • Start date

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
As I was pruning and spraying my VFTs, some little white worms started wriggling their way out of the peat
wow.gif
. They are very small, clear and a bit brown on the bottom. They seemed to respond negatively to the neem oil I was spraying. I saw only four and managed to pull them out iwth tweezers. Can anyone tell me what the heck these things are, how much of a threat they pose to my CPs, and how do I get rid of them?

i have no idea what they are but all worms are bad for cps , even earth worms because they make the soil more nutrient for the plant which is like fertilizer and thats not good .

Sounds like fungus gnat larvae. Usually not a major problem but they can cause damage in large numbers.

Tony

I have a couple of the little boogers too. I try to kill them when I can, but it isn't easy.

I've heard on "You bet your Garden" that you can can use the cat nip plants to attract them, and then move the plants outside when you've attracted all of them.

This webpage suggests...
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Probably the best trap ever for these annoying bugs is to put out small containers filled halfway with cider vinegar in areas where you are having problems with them. They dive into the vinegar and drown. Strain and reuse the vinegar until you have gained control of them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Oh well, both of those methods sound 'CP' friendly. I think I may try the latter one.
smile.gif

And if you have any Sarrs you can drop them in as a small snack....or onto a sundew and wacth them melt away........

Hmm... I wish I had fed the little buggers to my Binatas (just obtained from Meadowview
smile.gif
), but my main concern at the time was just getting rid of them. I'm not sure the vingegar option is feasable for me, as i'm growing the vft in a pot. Luckily dormancy time is near, so I can just bag the plant, stick it in the fridge, and replace the soil in the spring. I'm just hoping teh danger to the plant isn't immediately life-threatening.

On another front, the botrytis siege continues. Stupid, filthy AC unit
mad.gif

I had an infestation of them in my terrarium until my capensis got going.  Then for about two weeks the leaves were covered with the adult gnats.  Now I have springtails and a spider, which moved in on his own, trying to take over the terrarium
rolleyes.gif
.  If it ain't one thing, it's another
wink.gif

@jhaluska :  pickled larvae....yum!
wow.gif
.  And just in time for Halloween, too!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back