What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vfts and apartment living

K

ksduffster

Hey all! I am new to these boards. I haven't bought a VFT yet because I am unsure that it will thrive in my apartment.
sad.gif
 I live in Columbus, OH and I live in an apartment with East facing windows. I have heard that this is considered a "shady" side. Is this true? Does this mean I can't have a VFT? I also can't plant outside due to restrictions in my lease, so this is not an option. Will it be ok inside sitting on a window sill? If you think I can have one, is there anything special I should do for it since it will be inside? Please help! I would really like to get a VFT, but if I am going to just get it and kill it because I can't take care of it, I will just wait until I get a house or condo I guess.
confused.gif
Thanks for your help.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alien.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

That window sounds fine depending on the amount of actual light that comes through it. If you can get four or five hours of direct light through the window you're really good to go. I'm hoping that there isn't anything outside really obstructing the light.

If you don't think you are getting enough natural light, you could always buy a compact fluorescent to supplement it.

Then all you have to do is let it sit in a tray of distilled water on your window sill and turn on the light if you think you need it, and your set.

YAY!!!
biggrin.gif
Thanks so much for your advice. I have a small lamp that I use in the winter for my seasonal depression. I am not sure if it has a florescent bulb. Would this be ok? It is supposed to mimic actual sunlight, and as far as I can tell it does. Thanks again. I hope this works.
rolleyes.gif

That lamp should be fine as a supplement for natural light.  Do you know how many watts it is?  The difference between using a fluorescent and an incandescent for most people is the amount of heat versus the amount of light.  A 27w compact fluorescent bulb will give off about as much light as a 100w incandescent.  But the incandescent at 100w would give off way too much heat.

I wouldn't keep the light too close to the plant when you're using it.  Less light will reach the plant, but there will be less of a chance of frying it.

Just remember to keep it in a tray of water to keep the humidity up around the plant. You can even use a clear plastic cup to cover it at first until it settles in, or a plastic bag. Then slowly remove it, a little each day. Then voila, you'll have your very first Venus Flytrap growing for you.
smile.gif

Hi Ksduffster

Welcome to the forums! Glad you found your way here.
smile.gif

Don't be discouraged by apartment living. Many people grow CPs indoors...I'm sure you will hear from some. I grow some of mine inside. You might have to make a little effort to accommodate their needs but its usually not too hard. VFTs do like a lot of sun, but as mentioned, a simple shop light or small flourescent fixture will help. (My indoor lighting consists of 1 Gro-Lux and 1 cool white fluourscent tube per fixture). I do grow my VFTs outdoors in pots. But window sills and artificial light work fine too.

People here grow all types of CPs indoors, so...give it a try!@

Suzanne

Hi ksduffster,

By all means, you should give it a shot. I live in an apartment, and don't have the option of keeping mine outside because of the apartment rules, plus I live in the desert where one day out would probably kill them outright. I have four pots in a 5 gallon aquarium with a half-lid on top to keep some humidity in. The window I keep them in doesn't give them direct light, but they get bright indirect light about 11-12 hours a day. I hesitate to say it since I've only had them a couple of weeks, but they appear to be thriving in there with tons of new growth. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. If I were you I'd try your window, and if the plants don't seem to be getting enough light, you could always follow Vertigo's and Plantakiss' advice and get a little shop light for them to make up for it. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Tom

Thanks all!
biggrin.gif
I am glad to hear others have had success indoors. I will definitely be giving it a try sometime in the near future. Thanks again
smile.gif

Back