What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big vfts?

S

simeon

I just started growing venus flytraps. I have a small green dragon, and common fly trap that I got from this website. I had a friend who said he had a flytrap big enough to eat mice. Is this possible? Will my flytraps get this big? Or do some breeds grow bigger than others. Do vfts have genetic size limits? Thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> had a friend who said he had a flytrap big enough to eat mice. Is this possible? Will my flytraps get this big? Or do some breeds grow bigger than others. Do vfts have genetic size limits? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No, it isn't possible for it to eat mice, maybe baby mice even then it would require a rather large flytrap. No your flytraps won't get that big. Yes some breeds grow bigger than others. Yes, I believe they do have genetic size and physical limits. Larger traps can't close as fast and eventually probably couldn't close at all.

Fortunately it will grow big enough to eat a lot of bugs.
smile.gif

Say what? What is the basis for this opinion?
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Larger traps can't close as fast and eventually probably couldn't close at all.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

i think its like the "bart simpson" clone. the bigger the trap is, the thicker the wall, and the harder it is to close. also, big traps need more stimulation to collaps all the cells at the same time to close. bigger traps also may not open properly because of the amount of growth the cells need to open again. Zongyi

Ya sure he wasn't talking about a pitcher plant with a pitcher big enough to eat mice?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zongyi_Yang @ Oct. 13 2003,12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think its like the "bart simpson" clone. the bigger the trap is, the thicker the wall, and the harder it is to close. also, big traps need more stimulation to collaps all the cells at the same time to close. bigger traps also may not open properly because of the amount of growth the cells need to open again. Zongyi[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Zongyi,
Sounds like you read this web page too
biggrin.gif
: Growing Cycle of Dionaea Muscipula by Dr. Samuel Vergio Miensinompe

Back