Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grow Lightbulb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using a Sylvania 50 watt Spot-Gro indoor flood light between 12 and 14 hours a day for my VFTs. The first light lasted about 2 days. The replacement lasted maybe 3 days. Gonna go for another replacement tomorrow although I doubt that they'll be as cheerful replacing it this time around as they were the last time. Has anyone had any experiences with this particular brand and model of light bulb? Is what I'm experiencing the norm? - or just a fluke? Thanx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks and is on for about 10 hours a day. It's a 60watt Homebase blue daylight bulb.
    There is something clearly wrong with your bulbs [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alvin - does that bulb give off much heat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it does give off quite a lot of heat but it's far enough away from my plants to keep them just warm - perfect for wet Februarys. It would burn if it was too close but you have to use your common sense really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to get some lighhting for my Vft, i though you had to have the special 'grow' bulbs, is yours ok to use [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] A daylight bulb ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really only used the daylight bulb to get some VFT rhizomes through the dark winter on a windowsill. It ended up giving them the extra light to keep them alive and stop them going dormant, but not enough to grow much. Now that there's a lot more light, I don't use the growlight.

If you have VFTs indoors, a windowsill provides plenty of light now that it's April.

If you are keeping them in a terrarium though, you will need light but that's a whole different area. Then you will need flourescent bulbs etc. Other people know more about this than me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the bulb getting the proper ventilation? Perhaps they are burning out in an enclosure that is not suitable.

That's a fire hazard!

--Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a two bulb fluorescent fixture that is 2' long. I thing the bulbs are 40 watts each. I got the fixture and two bulbs from Lowes for less than 25 bucks. I currently have two green dragons under these lights for about 18 hours a day and they are growing wildly and are a deep red in color. I have had my lights for several months now and neither has burned out. Oh yeah, one bulb is a grow light and the other is a soft white. I read somewhere that this provides a broader spectrum of light, making it better for your plants.
    Buckmaster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find a 2 ft. 40 watter, so I went with a 20 watter and a "long" 20 gallon tank--they will hang about 4 inches over the plants from the plexiglas top, and there is room for another fixture in the tank.

More to the point, aren't these shop lights meant to be hung on chains? I think they may vent through the top, so you want to make sure that they have clearance.

I'm not sanguine about resting them on the bulbs, either, as many growers do-- this invites shorting.

--Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mistake, mine are 20 watt also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast