What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deform

• Thread starter antz4u
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flytrap
A

antz4u

Hey, ALL!!! I gotta question Iam sure its been answered but.... My flytrap has been producing alot of deformality traps that are odd shaped, Iam pretty sure its not the humidty or the sun ,( judging the fact that my humidty is constant and the brightness is constant)Could anyone help me out and tell wut might the problem be??
sad.gif

What type of water are you using and what type of soil mixture is being used?

The best types of water to use are: rain water, distilled water, or reverse osmosis water.

The soil mixture should be sphagnum peat moss, perlite or sand. Long fiber sphagnum moss is also good. Regular potting mixes contain harmful chemicals that can burn the roots of cps, kill cps, or cause deformities in the leaves and other sturctures.

There is also a possibility that there is a mite infestation. Mites cause VFTs and other plants to grow deformed.

Nick

hmmm.... Iam using all of the requirements and meat all of them, hmmm dont see any mites,darnit theres only like one trap working and all 5 of the others are deforms, any other sugestions
confused.gif

I had the same problem, but it worked itself out. It seemed to be happening to the traps the had already formed, or were beginning to form at the time of purchase, but didn't realize it until months after I had it. Since then, all my new growth is fine. It might have possibly been cared for incorrectly before you purchased it, and you are just seeing the results now. Did you buy your plant from a reputable source?

Ya I bought it from ummm Home Depot, I havent checked it lately but my conditions must be perfect could it be possible that since its by the window sill that it could be a temp fuculation???

jake

Jake,
My guess is it's quite likely that Home Depot used regular tap water to water it with. Most stores and many garden centers don't realize that using tap water on their CPs is a big no-no. And as Meagan pointed out the damage took a while to show. If this is what happened then it would be beneficial to flush the potting soil out several times with purified water to help remove any minerals from tap water. I would also discard any water that is presently sitting in the tray it is in as minerals from the soil will tend to concentrat in it and replace with fresh water.

i was given a few plants from home depot as well.  as i do with all plants i put them in quaranteen (sp?)  i saw one maybe 2 bugs so i sunk them completly under distilled water...  and all the bugs that came out of there was incredible.  i didn't know so many could live in such small pots.  you may want to try this.  just sink it for approx 24 hours this usally kills everything in there...  
lates,
andrew

see but the problem is ive had this plant alll summer long!!!And still come out deforms???

antz4u,  I'd try adnedarn's suggestion for a couple reason's.  First it accomplishes 2 things at once - drowns any bugs that may be eating the roots or leaves and 2 it will flush the soil out and remove some of the minerals they may have built up into the soil. Secondly I'm out of any other ideas.   The symptom's you describe usually indicate a problem either at the roots such as minerals, pests, or fertilizer or a leaf pest such as spider mites or aphids.

Well, I have three VFTs. They are all the same soil type, same amount of water, catches the same things, basically the same overall conditions, but only one ever produces deformed traps. It produces them regularly. So I'm thinking that they will sometimes just produce them for no real reason. Just like if a deformed human baby is born for no reason.

hmmm, ill try all of those even though i use reversal osmosis but i will try and report back, BTW ITS SEPT 11,TH AND ID LIKE TO THANK GOD FOR THE MEN AND WOMEN THAT RISKED THERE LIVES 2 DAY AND EVERYDAY ONE OTHER THING MY UNCLE WORKS AT THE PENTAGON AND IF IT WASNT FOR HIM BEING LATE HE WOULD OF DIED :-(

Back