What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Leaves

K

Kevention

I am new to the VFT, I jsut got the plant from petflytrap and noticed that the new heads that are growing are red with black coloring around the edges, is this an infection or disease, what can I do to prevent this. I live in Southern California and I keep it in indirect light and it is a green dragon plant. Help please I want this plant to grow much more.

Could you give a little more detail of it's conditions. That would help figuring out what it is. Light, how much. In terrarium or outside or window sill. Day temps. Water, how much what kind top or bottom. Are the traps taht are turning black fully developed or are they still curled up? All of this will help people answer your questions better. Oh, also did it have any recent dramatic changes. Like repotting, shiping stress, light changes?

These are the details I can give, Yes the dramatic changes are the shipping to my house. The new leaves are black and curled and do not look like they are going to develop. i live in southern California wehre the temperatures now are around 70-85, I keep it in light but not direct like the window sil, the sun doesnt shine directly into my room. It is potted in the same mix it came with from petflytrap.com. I watered it once when i got as the isntrcutions stated. I read somewhere not to water it to much so the roots wont ront and the mix is still moist to the touch. The are living in the pot it came with.

Thanks for the response

Wow, I don't know. This is a job for a moderator and not a recent newbie like me. Ummm... Did they come that way in the package. Maybe it was just damage from shipping. Or they didn't get enough light to fully develop so just gave up and died. Are there any other healthy new sprouts. If there are I wouldn't worry. Unless they too turn black. Sorry that I'm not of much help, but I'm pretty new myself. Started back in April. Hope you get some real help from someone else. Shauntell
confused.gif

Traps blacken for many reasons, including old age. If the new leaves emerging from the center are black, you have problems, otherwise the plants should adjust with a little care.

These plants are light thirsty, and you might need to consider increasing the light they receive: a location without supplemental light that gets no direct sun may not be enough for strong growth.

Impure water can also have this effect. Use only distilled or rain water for the plants.

I hope this helps.

Thank you guys for the information, ive been using drinking water for watering, i will switch to distilled, i m afriad to put the plants in the light because it is hot down in los angeles right now. I will try leaving them in the light and see if the new leaves will grow, its sad to see the new leaves blackened and die.

I don't think it will be too hot in Southern Cali. As long as you keep them pretty moiste (mine are in a tray of 1" of distilled water), then they can take temps into the 90's pretty well.

BUT

If they haven't had much sun lately, make sure you introduce them into direct sun slowly. I would say 1 hour for a couple of days, then two hours...you get the picture. I found the 4-6 hours of direct sun make them quite happy.

GOOD LUCK!!
smile.gif

Just to reassure you a bit. My plants were getting four hours of direct sunlight in about a hundred degree weather for about 2 monthes and survived just fine. Actually they were the happiest adn the healthiest I had seen them in the 7 months that I've had them. They seem to be extremely sturdy plants. Glad to see that someone who actually knew what they were talking about got to you. Shauntell

Thank you guys again, I will try the sunlight and keep them moist with distilled and see what happens. Thanks again

Back