What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should i get a terriarum

Hey everyone, right now i have 2 VFT's and a sundew. Im planning on getting 1 more VFT. I would like to grow them inside in a terriarum with a grow light. I was wondering where would be a good place to get one. There aren't any kits on this website, so if you could point me in the right direction, that would help. Also, any tips for terrerium growing for VFT's. Thanks for your help!

Garage sales, flea markets, pet stores, fish stores, Wal-mart, K-mart ect ect ect.... Pretty much anyplace that sells fish and/or pet supplies is likely to have small fish tanks that you can use. Heck even my grocery store has a fish aisle and they sell goldfish bowls that can be used as terrariums. PFT does sell terrariums, although there is only 1 posted on the website right now. Possibly if you call in they have a couple of the kits tucked away somewhere for sale, just not on the web page.

Good luck
Steve

Are there lights that would screw into normal lighting sockets? I have a lamp with adjustable heads that would sit perfectly over the terrierum im goign to buy today, so a light that would fit in there would be perfect. If so, any brands to look for? Specific type of light? Thanks!

Hi Myke66

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

I don't know if you have a PetSmart in your area but you can get a 10-gallon tank there for about 8.99.

If you want to grow your plants in a tank, that's fine but flytraps don't HAVE to be grown in a tank. Some people think they are exotic tropical plants that need high humidity, but they will grow just fine in a pot on a sunny window sill or outside. Also, do you know what kind of sundew you have? You will need to know as it wouldn't be a good idea to grow a tropical sundew in with a flytrap. The flytrap will need its dormant period which won't work with a tropical sundew.

You can't really use incandescent lights...they don't have the light spectrum needed for a plant plus they produce too much heat. You can get a small shop light (18") at any hardward store. You can use cool white fluorescents or GrowLux or a Sunstick. I use a mix of cool white and GroLux.

Don't forget your flytraps are nearing the time when they need to be going into dormancy, so setting up a terrarium with lights for them right now isn't a good idea unless you can provide reduced photoperiod and cool temperatures. Or if you can put your tank outside if you live in a temperate area. Also if you use a tank, you need to make sure you have good air circulation in there for the flytraps (keep it open or only partially enclosed). Warm stagnant air can promote mold and fungus.

Hope that helps you.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back