What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad Sunslight

HeY!,
I have a little problem with the lighting of my VFT's. My vft's (commons) are sitting in my kitchen window, and i don't think it is recieving the proper 8 hours of sunlight a day. Is it possible to use artificial lighting? If so what kind of light bulb would I need to get?

Thanx in advance for your responses!

it should be atleast 8 hours of direct sun. sit it in a sunny location outside. be sure to keep the soil moist. i have my vft sitting on my deck. it recieves about 9 hours of direct sunlight. since i have had which has been 3 weeks, now mine is getting summer leaves on it.

thanx for the reply,
Joe dirt. Do you think i can use artificial light though,
If so, what kind of light bulb?

sometimes when it is cloudy here and not much sun, i stick mind under a 40 watt shoplight for about 2 to 2.5 hours. i dont want to burn much energy, but hey every little bit of light helps. my doesnt seem to have any problems being under a shop light.

jaie,
Since you are co-owner, you probably have a good idea of what i should do.
Recently here in chicago there has been very little sunlight. Do you think it would be ok to use artificial lighting. If so, can I put the VFT under artificial light for 7-8 hours?

Thankz in advance!

hey pipsqueak,,

i'm from the chicagoland area as well, and you know how it's been nice for the past two days?

well, here's wat i did....

i had plants outside for more than 8 hours from 7 in the morning till about 6 at night. they eventually got sunburned..

so, rite now they're in my room and i am using artificial light.

you're plants should do fine under artificial light because that's wat i did the first time i got my cps and they were fine.

thanx,
I think i am going to put them in artificial light today, since there is no sun out.

Back