What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Florida Care

F

Firetrap

I hate to be redundant about outside care but I want to do the right thing. I live in South Florida with plenty of sunshine. I don't have any windows with light for any good length of time. I'm afraid to keep my (new) green dragon outside because of the heat. What are the temp limits? Are they ok as long as they are wet? Please help with info about the tropics? BTW. It is humid here. Thank you

Firetrap,

Welcome to the forums.

I'll help as much as I can but I'm not a Floridian so my knowledge is incomplete. I think there are a few FL growers here and hopefully one of them will catch this thead. If not I might be able to track down a couple email addresses for you and you can take the direct approach. Also, see if you can find Ram Puppy lurking around here, he is in TX which might not be as humid as FL but it is definitly as hot (he wrote an article on it here: http://www.petflytrap.com/harshconditions.html )

Okay, so now that all that is out of the way. I am pretty sure you can get away with growing outside but you will have to keep a really close eye on them to ensure they never dry out. I would also recommend you acclimate the plant slowly to the outside, 1/2 hour to an hour a day outside for a week and then work it up slowly.

I hope this has given you a starting point.

Good growing

Pyro

Back