What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trimming help?

I have several vft's and I have one that one of the mouths rotted away on but not the leaf it is on. So I just cut the mouth that was rotting away off. The leaf itself is still doing fine and I was just wondering if it is ok or neccesary to leave the leaf there, or should I just cut it all the way back since it doesn't have a mouth?

you did the perfect thing!
biggrin.gif
Welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

I would cut the whole leaf off. Just so it can concentrate on other leaves/traps. Opinions vary...Welcome to the forums.

travis

Well, usually it only concentraits on the traps, becasue it uses a tremendous amount of energy by making it close (stop poking a them!!&#33
wink.gif
And alot of people cut the whole leaf off, but i like to leave it on because it dose more good than bad. Makes energy via photosynthesis

Guys, you should never hack off bits of the flytrap which are green and alive. If the trap has gone black, then fair enough, cut it off. But if the petiole is still green, it's still photosynthesising.
Now photosynthesising is definitely one of those words that looks all wrong if you stare at it for too long
biggrin.gif

That is what I figured. If it is green and healthy then why cut it off.
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the help, and thanks for such a nice welcoming to the forum. I will be visiting a lot more often.

Back