What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The process of making leaf cuttings on vfts

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Okay, since there has been an explosion of questions on leaf cuttings lately, I'll try and solve this problem. Here's all the information I can muster into a sort of "care sheet"...

INTRO: propogation is another name for growing plants by cuttings. It's a very simple process and this walk-through will make it much easier for people who have never done it before.

PREPERATIONS: first, reserve a pot with a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite in it to put the cutting(s) in. Moisten the soil thoroughly with distilled, reverse-osmosis or pure rain water. Set the pot in a tray of about a half inch of distilled, reverse-osmosis or pure rain water.

PROCESS: go to the plant you want a cutting from and peel off a leaf. Make sure you get a little of the petiole (the white part at the base of the leaf) on the bottom. It's okay if the trap or part of the leaf is black and dead, as long as the white part is intact and alive.
    Then, take the leaf and lay it face-up on the soil of the reserved pot. Then, stick the white end down about a quarter of an inch into the soil. Pat the soil down on the end of the leaf firmly. Give the leaf just as much sun as you would the adult plants every day. The cutting should sprout new traps from the white end within two to four weeks. For dormancy, keep it in the same conditions as you would an adult plant. It should do okay during dormancy. For more info on dormancy, check out the topic "DORMANCY, HIBERNATION, SLEEPING, etc. CHECK HERE FIRST" in General Discussions. Good luck!

With all these guides, we might as well write a short book on taking care of VFTs.  
wink.gif

Does the same technique hold true for other cps, such as neps?

Casper

Should I use a trap that has already caught a fly or a new one? Also should I use a big trap or a small one?
confused.gif

it dosent matter usually i use leafs without traps(the trap fell off already)/with rotting traps so that i dont have to waste the nice new ones...
but i think the nice new ones will be more effective/fast (i think)

Wezx hit it pretty good. For the size thing, it doesn't matter. Heck, it doesn't even have to have a trap ON it
wink.gif

Back