What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh nooo...

• Thread starter MarsGirl
  • Start date
1 of my traps gone bad. can i just leave it and let it die or should i remove it? (i really don't want to because i have no idea how to)

and the ceramic pot that i transplant my pet into is collecting some yellowish "something" on the sides of the pot. maybe i didn't clean the pot as good as i should before transplanting. :-( will this harm my plant?

thanks!

the thing that might be on your pot is probably rust , I'd treat it with CLR . I don't know whats wrong with your vft but I think you should remove it .

Hi MarsGirl

Welcome to the forums.
smile.gif
The traps on your plant will blacken and die naturally. That's not necessarily a sign of a problem...so don't worry too much. New "leaves" with traps will grow to replace the ones that die. Just take a pair of scissors and clip the dead trap off. That will leave the petiole (leaf-looking part) to continue to make food for the plant thru photosynthesis.

As for the residue on your pot...what kind of water are you using to water it? You should be using distilled water or rain water *only*. IF you are using tap water, the residue may be mineral salts building up on your pot. These minerals will eventually kill your flytrap. If the pot is a typical terracotta pot, the minerals/salts leach out onto the outside of the pot and also will collect on the inside edge of it as well.

If you use the proper water, you will not get that residue. If you ARE using distilled/rain water I'm not sure what it is. You can use CLR to remove mineral salts off a pot, but not with the plant in it! If you do this, make sure you wash and thorough flush the pot with lots of water to get the CLR out of it. Terracotta pots are very absorbent. If it is glazed ceramic, you will not get the salt leaching on the outside of the pot but it will collect on the inside.

Just water your plants with pure water and you won't have to worry about the mineral gunk.

Good luck!

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne & Tuyen! I've been using Distilled water (bought a large Gallon of Sodium Free Non-Carbonnated one). So I don't know if the traps (2 traps already) r dying because of sunburn or coz of that stuff that's all over my terracotta pot.

Did as suggested: clipped the dead traps off... if the problem persists, I dunno... I'll just die. Hehehe... ^_^

I can't tell from here
smile.gif
But if you think it is a problem because of the pot I'd take the plant out dirt and all in one big clump and put it into another pot. Just a tip but usually they do better in plain plastic pots. Once you get it into another pot. I would flush the plant real well to get anything out of the soil that shouldn't be there.
Hey if you have an extra pot and it sounds like you have enough water, its better to be safe than sorry.

Back