What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deep red color

tuyen thi

BANNED
Every time I put my vft in direct sunlight to try and make it have a deep red color the water tray heats up , the soil heats up , the plant starts drying , the water evaporates , and the plant doe'nt even get red . I shaded it put the same thing happened , I put it with a humidifier , and I even put ice in the water tray but whatever I do , the plant dries .

Have you tried refilling the water tray? That just might do the trick...

Ya , I always keep the water tray filled with water .

The water drys out because the heat is making it .

Where do you live, sir? What kind of temperatures are we talking about?

--Steve

Southern California , in canoga park .

Part of the problem could be in the pot size: smaller pots tend to heat up quicker than larger pots. As for the color of the traps, some varieties will not turn red no mtter how much sun you give them. It depends on which form you have. You could also try a larger tray, a lighter colored tray, and a lighter colored pot (white). There may be other issues affecting your plant: be sure your water is rain or distilled only.

I would recommend a large white pot(preferably 5in+) for the flytraps. Use a mix of peat and sand in a 1:1 ratio. Keep an inch of water(rain, distilled) on the tray and grow in full sun all day for the best possible color(redness may vary from clone to clone). This is how I grow my flytraps in southern CA.

Tuyen, Check out my article in the plant care section, it deals with growing these plants in harsh environments.

I would say that you should never put a flytrap in direct sun where you live, North carolina doesn't get the intense heat that people like us do from the sun, since we are closer to the equator.

read the article, and apply it's principles, and you will definatley have more succes...

Remember, I live in South Texas, so I am probably worse off than you!

Tuyen,
I live pretty close to you, (25 miles) and I can tell you my plants would fry if I left them in full sun or a southern facing window.

I'm currently growing my flytraps in a northern facing window. They will get full bright indirect light all day, without too much heat. My house stays between 50-90F year round, which should be alright for the plants. You wouldn't want this temperature plus the heat from the sun, VFTs cannot handle it. I keep the trays filled with water, and refill every 24 hours when it dries out.

Alternately, you can try growing them in an eastern or western facing window so that they get direct sun for 6 hours, but this is risky in the summer! I'm growing my D. Capensis on the east side, but they're a whole different ballpark!

Do you have a red or green dragon? If you have a common VFT, it may not get as red as you're expecting, no matter how much sun it gets.

(Edited by Statik2426 at 8:19 pm on April 30, 2002)

Back