What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oddly shaped trap (pic inside)

mutant.jpg

Can you spot the mutant trap?

Weird eh.  
alien.gif

Should I split this VFT?

weird , a pregant vft
tounge.gif
. i've enerv seen that before . the only mutant flytrap i ever seen was one i had with only one side of the trap .

ones a half typical and half dente and another is half flytrap half leaf

Wooooooo! It's a cup-trap!!!

Okay, Its probably because I am mostly asleep, but I can't see it....

Hmm, where's the unusual part? I don't see it
confused.gif

It is the one in the red circle
mutant1.jpg

I see one petiole that doesn't seem to have formed much of a trap, plus a cup-trap type trap near the bottom of the pic.

These are one-time only "mutations" that happen on leaves of all geni now and again. These traits will not carry on through divisions, cuttings, seeds, etc, and will likely only happen once or twice in the life of the plant, assuming you don't live by a nuclear reactor
smile.gif

Here's another example of a single slightly mutated leaf, in this case on a drosera capensis:

Dsc01244.jpg

Dsc01245.jpg

the end of the leaf kind of curls backwards in two "fingers". So far, three leaves in a row have similar traits
smile.gif

-noah

Ah, kind of a cup trap thing going on there.

Noah, didn't DJ have some mutant capensis?

Hi Larry,

Yes he did, the famous capensis 'crestate'. I bought a pot, but they reverted back to the normal capensis growth almost immediately, and continued to do so for almost a year before they died (I think).

The capensis pics shown above are of the normal clone.

-noah

Back