What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Children and flytraps dont mix!

This is the second time this has happened. All of the traps on my VFT have been closed by my pencil weilding niece who has kindly closed ALL 9 of my open VFTs...arghhh

Dont you love kids?
confused.gif

How old is your neice? I had a similar problem with my wife's cousin (he's a little older, 7 or 8). I found a good way to explain to them that it's bad:

"how would you feel if I kept pulling your food out of your mouth? You wouldn't like that, now would you?"

He left the plants alone after that. Nice kid.
biggrin.gif

If he or she is too young, that approach might not work...
confused.gif

Well, she is 10 and has been told about this before...

Ah I do despair.

How about you tell her that the fly trap can get up to 5 feet tall and the traps get up to 5 feet big and that it will eat her if she keeps on doing that?? I dunno, scare her big time.

10 years old... one swift firm smack on the arse should take care of it.
wow.gif

LOL! She burst into tears after I found out so lets hope thats the end of it.

My terrarium is a 23 gallon tank and I keep it on top of the entertainment center. There's no way my kids will ever be able to get to the plants inside, at least not without more than enough effort for me to easily catch them first! So far so good!
wink.gif

I bought another VFT
smile.gif
for visiting kids to feed. I tell them the other plants are off limits. It has worked so far.

I ever did anything like that I would get slapped. Look at me now
sad.gif
.So I would do the same thing give them a good crack on the rear. I think kids get spoiled to much now. I would teach them a safe lesson on what not to touch. If the plant dies you could make them eat it. Believe me they will never touch your plants again. I would let them spit it out of course may be poisonous. Of course you have to follow through or you are done. Give them an inch they will take the whole football field. By the way these are just my opinions
wink.gif
. Or you could feed them some thing really good (turkey), make sure it has lots of triptofan (?) in it.hehehehe
tounge.gif
wow.gif

travis

Travis, lord have mercy! haha I hope you never baby sit small children!!
tounge.gif

"Hey...um, Travis *sly whisper, looking around paranoid* I'd like to hire you to um...take care of my kids. Make it look like an accident, I'll pay ya big!" LOL LOL *joke*  
wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

How about human-sized fly paper??
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (newbie-flycatcher @ Sep. 03 2002,11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL! She burst into tears after I found out so lets hope thats the end of it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
She probubly just likes the plant and doesn't understand it hurts it. Why don't you have her REALLY feed it once but onder the condition that it's only when your their
smile.gif

You know what sneaky parrents do where I live (for fear of their children going to school and telling their teachers that their mommy hits them)? They send them to karate class (me) and tell the teacher (me) that they kids were bad this week......work 'em REAL good. Legal corpral punishment...
wink.gif
wink.gif

They ususally sleep a week after a tough class...
wow.gif

I have a cousin who really loves looking at them. He is pretty good about leaving them alone. He is 8 years old and really smart. He loves telling everybody all these fancy names for dinosaurs and plants etc.

He knows not to touch the traps cause its bad for them. I didn't even have to tell him cause he read a book about carn plants.

Back