What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my plant dead

• Thread starter paul
  • Start date
it aint started growing yet since being dormant,the room its in does get cold overnight would this hold it back or is it dead
confused.gif

Well, if it does get cold at night (depending on how cold cold is
tounge.gif
), then that could set it back a bit. If it was a bit warmer it would probably show a little more sign of growth and waking up.

Temps are not the only factor in a vft coming out of dormancy. Light levels
have alot to do with it too. Have you increased the amount of light it gets?
It's only the beginning of March, I wouldn't worry about it very much yet, all
mine are still dormant, I'm sure they are still dormant in the wild too. If
it's dead the entire plant will be black, look below the soil to see if the
bulb is black and mushy or if it's white and firm. If it's black your plant is
dead if not, slowly increase the light and temps. Let me know what you find and
I'll try and help you more with it.

yah, don't worry about a sluggish plant untill may, they can be a little weird their first few dormancies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ Mar. 05 2003,6:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Temps are not the only factor in a vft coming out of dormancy. Light levels
   have alot to do with it too. Have you increased the amount of light it gets?
   It's only the beginning of March, I wouldn't worry about it very much yet, all
   mine are still dormant, I'm sure they are still dormant in the wild too. If
   it's dead the entire plant will be black, look below the soil to see if the
   bulb is black and mushy or if it's white and firm. If it's black your plant is
   dead if not, slowly increase the light and temps. Let me know what you find and
   I'll try and help you more with it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
just had a poke arround cannot find any white everything looks black,
sad.gif

I'm sorry, but if the roots are black then there's not much hope for the plant. The best thing to do is try to figure out why it died, change whatever caused it to die, then try again. What kind of water did you use? What was the humidity, temp, light levels last growing period. What was the conditions it had for it's dormancy. How long have you been growing this plant?
Let me know the answers to these questions and I'll try to help you figure it out.

Bummer. 0zzy is right though, take it as a learning opertunity. If you can tell us what it's life was like, maybe we can pinpoint the trouble.

Well mine is still alive...
confused.gif
That is a bummer I know exactly how you feel. As all of mine died on me last year...this year is not over yet. I will see if I have any survivors.

Well actually they did not die on me...they died in there pots
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ Mar. 08 2003,03:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well actually they did not die on me...they died in there pots
tounge.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ewwww bad joke, just *rottin*, lol. sorry

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
WEW TRAVIS!YOU SURE GAVE ME A GOOD GIGGLE!(seriously
wink.gif
)

@ozzy and darcie.
ok it was on the window cill,room is very warm in summer gets cold in winter started to die back about begging of winter ,i then moved it away from window about december time,have always used rain water on it,(did not water as often durring winter)did repot durring summer and was growing well after ,dont think it was very old .

have bough another one so hopefull to kepping it alive cheers paul.

I can't pinpoit what you're doing wrong from what you posted, but here are some concerns.

How warm is very warm? Is it between 85f and 100f?

What is the humidity level? It should be between 60% and 100%

How much light is it getting? It needs bright sunlight all day long

How much water are you giving it? The best way to make sure it's getting enough water is to use the tray method. Put it in a small tray, bowl or shallow dish. Put the water in the dish and let it soak up in the soil. Let the water evaporate from the dish. As soon as all the water is gone add more water.

What kind of soil did you repot with?

ok would not say it goes over 100',but not very humid were it was,(now moved to the bathroom).
yes had sunlight all day also has in bathroom,sounds like it may have been the watering that killed it,never kept it sitting in water,just kept the soil moist,fixed that now.
i repotted with with normal compost for potting plants,
sad.gif

hope thats ok as new one is also in it,left it in the old soil put it in if you now what i mean,cheers paul.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (paul @ Mar. 14 2003,3:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i repotted with with normal compost for potting plants,
sad.gif

hope thats ok as new one is also in it,left it in the old soil put it in if you now what i mean,cheers paul.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Paul...that soil is not ok...sounds like it's the problem actually. Vft's have very sensitive roots and the nutrients put into normal everyday potting soil will burn them up.

Vertigo is right. Potting soil will kill it. Not maybe, but defiantly will kill it. You need to repot it with peat moss and perlite at a 1:1 ratio now. Don't wait. Read what's been going on with this guys plant. It'll explain it all.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....;t=1897

If you have low humidity you don't want your temps to be very high. If your humidity is low keep your plants around 85f.

whoops
sad.gif
ok will get some tommorow,and repot it just shows how easy you can go wrong cheers paul.

ok cannot get any peat moss,poeple are looking at me stupid when i ask for it,have got some natural moss,but it does not look right,is there another name for it,can get peat is that the same,cheers paul.

As far as I know it's not known by any other name. I had trouble finding peat moss first time I went to Lowes to get it. Nobody knew what I was talking about. Do you live in the US? If so I'm sure somebody here will be glad to mail you some. If nobody else will, then let me know and I'll mail you some. You need to get it repotted soon so if one place don't have it go somewhere else.

cheers for the offer ,but sure i can find it but in the uk so would it have a different name here.
we have peat but no peat moss it may be the same i dont know.

Back