What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider infestation

My VFT is entering its dormancy and has become covered in a sheet type spiders web. I have read that spiders do frequent them for obvious reasons. If I try and clean it off it's back by the next day and the spider must be so small I cannot locate the culprit. Will this do it any harm or shall I just leave it? If it's better to clear it how do I do so?

If it is entering dormancy why don't you put in the fridge, so it will go into dormancy earlier and also probably kill the spiders off your plants. Knowing spiders can not withstand cold temperatures and would kill them for sure.

Um that is not a spiders web it is a fungus! I saw the same thing on my flytraps dead leaves when i got it(i cut those off) i would suggest that you carefully take your plant out of it's pot,check it's roots and rhyzome are healthy,then spray it with fungicide and wrap it in a slightly moist paper towl and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge and leave it there for dormancy.Make sure you get all the soil away from your plants rhyzome and roots by swirling it around in a cup of distilled water-check nep G's post about flytraps in the fridge for Ram's specific instructions,ok?

Thats some fungus Mondo it crosses inches to the next leaf!

It also could be spider mites. I  have seen  them  before and they can realy cover a plant with webbing. Are there any tiny almost microscopic red dot looking things present? If so get it away from your other plants if you have any nearby and treat it with insecticide quick cause those can realy get out of hand and ruin your plant! I hate to say but I think that's what you have.

(Edited by unknownclown at 11:29 pm on Nov. 10, 2001)

(Edited by unknownclown at 11:32 pm on Nov. 10, 2001)

Spider mites hate water... instead of treating with insectiside as your first resort, submerge the plant in water, they will drown, or let go to survive... I think it also helps if you add a drop of dish soap as well, at least this is what I have heard... you'll probaby want to flush the pot when your done, and of course, use only distilled water.

Woops I wasn't thinking, Rampuppy is right dunk the plants as a first resort
smile.gif
I keep on forgetting about that. I have only seen them on realy large plants that you realy couldn't do that to. Oh and the home depot near here wich I just picked up and left on the counter away from the other plants so they could deal with it. Wich doesn't realy count so never mind
smile.gif

When I said it was like a sheet thats because it goes all over from trap to trap as well as across the base of the plant. It is however strand like as in a spiders web. I am familiar with red spider mite and it definately has not got those. It in a tray with a P. moranensis on one side and a D. capensis alba on the other. These are not affected at all possibly due to the fact that whatever the critter is it knows it would get stuck on these.

I am going to go with fungus.

If it were mites....the web wouldn't be all over. It would be from underneath the leaf to the soil. And you can sometimes see them.

We are starting to sell chemicals on our site now. They are an all around treatment. ( not a shameless plug I PROMISE!!!).

I have seen it with some plants that we have from time to time. I would spray it and then repot. toss the old soil. (as a precaution).

mine has white fuzz what is it.

Newnut -
I know what you mean. I've had this once (about a year ago). It was a big fight! It was 4 or 5 tiny little spiders. after a week, in wich twice a day I cleaned the webs from the plant and hunted those little busters with water and pillers. I killed them all, cleaned the last remains and It was alright. The plant lives today in the same soil.
Just hunt them every day, and after a while they'll be gone (after you'll kill them all).

Back