What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

little traps

• Thread starter fink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    leaves
F

fink

My green dragon's traps do not seem to be forming. It starts news leaves but the traps never develop. Is all hope lost on this plant?

are the traps turning black and dieing or are they just not forming?

Yes, they are very small and immediatly turn black.

Several things could be causing this...

1st, how is the light around there? Is it possibly to intense for fresh young traps?

Look closely, see if there are any pests nibbling on the fresh new growth...

how is your humidity? While I totally believe humidity can be sacrificed if all other conditions are perfect, it can only be taken so far...

I would like to know what kind of water your using. High mineral content will often cause the leaf tips and edges to turn black.
T

you really should only give your plant distilled water or rain water

were are you putting your plant I could also be not getting enoph direct sunlight as well

how wet is the peet I usually just leave mine in a tray of water about 1 cm high, and only once and a wile give it water from above manly just to keep top peet damp

the peet should be damp! if water gushes up to the top its too much also is there proper drainedge for the plant!

Ummm.... you realy shouldnt water from above but add water to the tray. The peat will still be damp from doing it that way
smile.gif
at least mine is
tounge.gif

It needs more light Fink. The exact same thing happened to me when I ordered some Green Dragons from this site. The leaf would form pretty fast and you'd see the tiny trap forming then it would start to get black and die. At the time they were in my terranium and I only had 1 20 watt fluorescent bulb. As soon as I added another double bulb 20 watt setup the next traps formed fine.

If you can place them in a sunny windowsil they love full sun.

The plant is kept in a sw facing window. I water each morning with distilled water. I have the pot set up on a slanted surface so that the water drains down. I did have all my plants setting in a constant supply of water, but mold was forming so I no longer do this. I would say the humidity is about moderate, not dry by any means. I do not see any parasites on the plant.

I just wanted to make a comment about mold. Mold is most often an indication of too much heat with not enough air circulation. Warm, stagnant air combined with a very wet environment can encourage mold growth. VFTs will do well in an open environment (in a pot on a window sill or outdoors). They don't have high humidity requirements like some CPs do, so a terrarium is not a "must". If you just prefer to grow your plant that way, just make sure it gets good air circulation, lots of light and not toooo much heat (like from an incandescent bulb) as an enclosed terrarium can heat up pretty quickly.

Just my moldy 2-cents.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back