What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help im new

• Thread starter Brails
  • Start date
I am new to growing these plants and i have an question.

I wont to buy a 10 gallon fish tank and keep my plants in their. Can i fill the bottom up with the special soil and just plant my venus flytrap in the dirt? Or do you have to keep it in the pot for watering purposes?

hey brails i would think how would you put the water in?i mean when you water them?
i have vft too

ok, mabey i didnt word that right. Do you have to keep your plant in pots or can you plant them in like a fish bowl?

If you plant them in a fish bowl, how do you water them. can you just pour in the water? Keep an 1in of water on the surface? help me!!!

This is what you can do. I also have one in a terranium. I have a glass top, but I cut it so that 1/8 of it is open, in dat 1/8 i put a little mesh wiring and sum wet towels juss to keep the moisture in. You cover the tank floor with the moss, and soil you want to use. then you make it moist with disilled or rain water. So then you plant your plants in. You can water them by goign around the plants one by one, or juss drip it on the side of the glass so it slides down the soil. Just make sure not to trigger the VFT. If you use moss it will keep the moisture in more.

Well, I basically asked the same question, except I am planting my vft in a jar.  Pyro suggested using 1:1 peat:perlite or peat:silica sand.   I read that you have to be careful with the soil you use, the soil with time released food is no good.  Also the root system grows very slowly so you can put your planting medium around the pot your vft came in and hide it.  Pryo also said not to use sheet moss.  Check out "transplanting, making a new home" on page 2, it found it very helpful.

Back