What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea cultivars

trashcan

O:-)
Does anyone have a list of dionaea cultivars? I have seen the list posted at ICPS, but it doesn't include a pictures as reference, and not all of them are registered. I'm looking for only quality cultivars, not "varieties" that have mutations and then revert back to normal.

Patrick

I have seen them all over the web, and posted them before too... You cna try searching around this site, but who knows what you'll find... sometimes things get posted in odd places!
smile.gif

I will poke around the web this weekend, and generate a list...

Hi everyone,
I even saw a VFT mutant on the ICPS website not registered as a cultivar--but it should be! It's called the 'pompom VFT'. Look under Strange and Unusual in the members photo gallery. I truly love this plant, and I'm going to try to get a few for myself. I remember hearing about it a while back on the GardenWeb forum...but my memory fails me.
Cheers,
Chris

Wow.. do the traps even work though?

Patrick

pompom.jpg

It's my understanding the traps do not function. It is also a very rare plant with only a few in cultivation...

Tony

That's too bad...I hope it becomes more widespread in cultivation. Imagine seeing THOSE on store shelves--rather than the typicals and dentates. I think they'd turn beginners off, though, as the first thing you want to see as a beginner is a trap catching some helpless hamburger. Imagine that...:)
Chris

that site actually belongs to one of our members, though, I forget which...

PomPom's actually come in two forms from my understanding, one where the mass of spines grows on the inner lobes of the trap, and as in the picture, one where they grow on the outer lobes.

Both types of PomPom trap are non functional, but can probably be fed with a foliar feed like Epiphytes Delight.

There was a big controversy over the existence of pompoms on gardenweb, and the thread was eventually deleted.

ALso, I can say for myself, once I found out the plants mutation prevented carnivory, I lost interest, I will probably get one if it becomes wide spread enough, but I am not going to go seeking it out.

Also, it is believed an inbalance in the solutions used in tissue culture produce the pompom.

WOW! Who can forget the big 'pom pom' debate! i think there would have been a few black eyes had it have occured in a real room!!!

you know, funny thing, Scotty and I really disagreed on that, but we started e-mailing each other later, talked about fish, and other stuff, and I think he pops in here every now and again, he's a really nice guy!

Hey RP,
I remember that debate now--and I remember staying away from it!
smile.gif

The site belongs to Noah, and I really admire him for taking on such a task.
In my experience, Epiphyte's Delight works great for VFTs. A very light spray with a 25% solution twice monthly during the growing season doesn't seem to bother them. I used to apply the stuff with a Q-Tip, but that got old fast.
Maybe if someday I get into tissue culturing...
Chris

Chris, funny you should mention that, i asked for a bottle of the stuff for christmas!

From what I have read in Savage Garden, you need to monitor the application of it to your soil though, when spritzing, you invariably will get some on the soil, leading to algae build up. This is usually only a problem if you use the tray method, as watering from above flushes the media.

great on Nepenthes as well!

Ugh...I often have a problem with the dreaded guk(or guck, what I like to call it). If it becomes a real menace, I just scrape it off with a spoon and replace with fresh peat when I have the time.
I use ED on lots of plants:
Dionaea
Drosera
Nepenthes
Pinguicula
carefully on Utricularia
on Staghorn Ferns!
Bromeliads
my orchids
and on a plant I've been looking for a chance to talk about for days--I think it is called a "Buddabelly". It's one of the weirdest plants I grow. It sends out a large taproot that looks like a huge, woody bulb. The leaves resemble comparatively gigantic four-leaf clovers . The flowers are also bizarre, they come up on stalks similar to leaf stalks and are an eye-catching red-orange color. The seed pods are the weirdest of all--after months of slowly swelling, they finally literally EXPLODE! I'm not kidding, the seed pod on my one plant in the dining room exploded while I was reading. One of the seeds whizzed past my ear and panged against a window--eight feet away from the plant. I found two more seed, and I know there was a fourth judging by the size of the pod before it exploded, but I haven't found it. The three seed are now in the fridge. They are larger than sunflower seeds, rounder, thicker, and lightly colored. I'm currently strategizing how to go about germinating them.
I bought the plant from a local nursery. It is very rootbound in an 8 inch pot. From the soil surface, the whole plant(including the three flower stalks, one of which held the exploding pod) is about 16 inches tall. I'm currently trying to self pollinate it, so that I'll have more seed as well as the entertainment of an exploding seed pod. The exploding pod is obviously its method of spreading seed in the wild. I'm told(by the owner of the nursery I bought it from)it is a jungle plant, enjoying semi-shade, moist soil, high temps and humidity. I'm trying to provide it with those conditions, and it is doing very(surprisingly)well. If ANY of you have EVER heard of OR grown this plant, please let me know. If the seed does germinate, I estimate(judging upon the woody stem, large leaves, and advanced root system of my single plant)it would take at least five years to grow a plant to one the size of mine. If I had more seed, I'd certainly offer some to Petflytrap! But until I have more than three... Remember now, it's called a "Buddabelly"!
Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 1:14 pm on Dec. 11, 2001)

I wanna see a picture...

I guess one of the oddest things I grow is a death camus, it's a poisonous onion... (cattle tend to eat them when they are starving or dehydrated, and get very sick, otherwise, they ignore them.)

Speaking of which, I have several young ones... if anyone is interested, I can't gurantee survival in shipping, as I have never done it before... hmmm.. maybe I will experiment on Jaie... I bet he wouldn't mind one... but he better not smoke it.

If only I knew how!
sad.gif

Wouldn't I need a digital camera? Or could I take a pic with a normal camera, scan it onto my computer as a JPEG, and somehow include it in a post? I'm fine with posting links, but I'm clueless with this sort of thing. I'll see what I can do.
Thanks for offering those onions, but I'm afraid some visitor to my place might say, "Ooh, an onion, I'm sure Chris wouldn't mind if I incorporated it into my sandwich" or something along those lines.
smile.gif
And imagine if one broke open during shipping! I'd think you were sending me something...else. Those are very smart cows, by the way. Where does this onion grow? thanks

Fertilizer does not kill flytraps-it does make them soft and weak though if u over dose. Nurserys who produce flytraps in massive proportions tend to fertilize their flytraps cause they don't have the time to buy millions of bugs and pain stakingly feed each plant individually.

(Edited by Mondo at 5:46 am on Dec. 12, 2001)

Hey Mondo,
I wonder what they'd use for fertilizer, though. Probably, (sadly)something cheap and readily available, like MiracleGro, which is great for 'normal' plants but a danger to cp. I'm totally just making assumptions, however. If you are *crazy* enough to try MiracleGro on your cp, you should dilute it to AT LEAST 1/4 to 1/8 of the usual amount. This'd mean using one quarter to one eighth of a CAPFUL, kindly provided, once or twice monthly, per quart. Or, you could even be so bold as to try around two drops EVERYTIME you water, per quart of water. I personally would never take the risk. I'd rather stick with Superthrive and ED. I'm sorry I'm so fuzzy about the metric system, 'my' system of measurement may not be gone for a long time, and it is a very bad habit of mine.
RP, I think I'll try some 'conventional' pics of the Buddabelly, scan 'em, and try to post them here, or even send them to you. Don't expect them for a week or two, I'm too compu-stupid(net-dumb?pc-impaired?ha)to rush this. Thanks for showing interest, though.
Chris

Am I the only one having a problem thinking of the Pompom VFT pictured above as anything but the Cookie Monster Flytrap?

hehh... to me PomPom is the perfect name...

I will try to get a picture of the Death Camus up sometime as well, it looks a lot like those 'pony tail plants' but green and crisp rather than brown and woody...

I can't wait to see your Budahbelly!

Back