What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

funginol?

hi everyone!
today i noticed that 2 of my vft's have a weird slimy typ substance on the top of the soil, which i am assuming is a mold. am i crrect in assuming this slime is mold?

i called my local grden center and asked about banrot and the cleary 3336,but they don't carry them. they DO HAVE somthing called funginol (sp?). anyone every hear of it? can i use this on vft's?

thanks!
technoracer

well, i went out tonight and finlly bought the book "the savage garden". in the section about diseases, it mentions "slime mold". "...actually an algea and can grow in green, oozy puddles along soil surfaces. it is usually harmless to carnivorous plants..." (quoted from page 31, para 3). so, it looks like this isn't something that is harmful to the plant.

thanks
technoracer

Isn't slime algae technically a bacteria? ah well no matter....

It wont harm the plants directly but if it gets too thick and covers much of the soil surface it will smother the plant by keeping oxygen from entering the potting mix. Just scrape it off if needed and add a bit of fresh peat.
T

i scraped it off. but i bought some stuff to transplant three of my vft's into one pot. i'm gonna leave the double potted dente from pft in it's pot. these store bought ones though, they're going into one pot. at least theni'll know for sure what kind of soil they're in.

technoracer

Back