What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with my vft :)

ok, I sprayed the dente with fungicide (Captan) at full strength, I recorded the date on the callendar, and next week, I'll repeat the treatment again.
I'm hoping even if I don't save the adult plant on the dente, the babies in the pot will survive, as they still look fine.
I'll have to find something for the akai ryu to immerse it in. Should both plants have the same treatments as the other one since they were next to eachother? Or should I wait to see if they develope eachother's symptoms?

thanks!

Malli

i`d treat both "an ounce of pervention is worth a pound of cure".

ok, well, I'm not going to treat the dente for aphids, as they seem fairly easy to irradicate, but I'll spray the akai ryu with fungicide, as any fungis seems rather nasty.
As for the florescent light, I have a small fixture that gives off about 34 watts, is that going to be enough, and will the plants get any of the light if its sort of "unshielded" and out in the open?
Also
smile.gif
of course there is an also
smile.gif
As I mentioned, my dente has plantlets in the pot with it, what should I do with those, leave them? or re-pot? do they also go dormant?
How do you suggest inducing dormancy? (I have no porch or secure outdoor area for them)
thanks again
smile.gif

Malli

for inducing dormancy when november comes around put them in an unheated room (such as a basement) preferably on a windowsill its best if temps stay in the 33-50 degree range for dormancy.

Hi, I'm a newcomer to this forum too n I bought my first vft. they're so small... n I got the same problem as malli's vft's, I just clipped/plucked the blacked out ones.... And I also tried your suggestion.. And I'm assuming it's going fine! In winter, do I put em in fridge?(35degress F) Also, can I save my vft's with out fungicide?
confused.gif
Thank you for your Help
smile.gif

I have no basement(I live in apartment with no deck), I am wondering if the refrigerator will work as well?

Malli

Yes, from what I hear it will, when it starts to go dormant take the plant Wrap it in some lfs, dust it with a bit of fungicide, and put it in the fridge, make sure it doesnt freeze, and in 3-4 months pot it up and grow it again! p.s. Please note I have not tried this but it seems to work very well for other people, in fact Peter d`amato recomends it for people who can`t give them a natural dormancy!

The refridgerator works fine for dormancy. I used mine a couple years ago with no problems. I left my VFTs in their 3" pots and placed each pot in a ziplock bag after trimming off any dead leaves. I didn't use any fungicide but since you seem to be having problems with fungus Malli, it would probably be a good idea to give your plants and pot a fungicide soak before bagging them up (let them drain well before bagging them). Fungicide won't hurt and could help your plants. I then placed them in the shelfs on the door. If I placed them anywhere else in the 'fridge they disappeared into the back where they were forgotten for weeks at a time. I preferred them in plain site where I could see them and remember to check for fungus and drain the water out that had condensed inside the baggie.

alien.gif

ok, the 24 hr submersion did NOT work for the aphids or whatever teeny green bugs are feasting on my vft, so what insecticide would you recommend?
as for the fridge method, what temp should it stay above, and should I keep each pot and plant moist with added waterings or mistings?

thanks so much!

Malli

The 'fridge can be at whatever temp it is already set at so long as nothing freezes. Though brief freezes don't usually bother VFTs aside from killing the leaves that got frozen.

I have used flying insect sprays containing pyrithrum with some success. I don't use it unless I have to as the petroleum products in many sprays can harm VFTs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Malli @ Sep. 07 2003,11:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">as for the fridge method, what temp should it stay above, and should I keep each pot and plant moist with added waterings or mistings?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
As stated, above freezing is fine (someone else said he keeps his in the shelf on the door). Keep the soil damp, but not wet. I dont recommend misting at all. Any excess moisture on the leaves just invites rot. Check out the dormancy topic in General discussions, Im sure most of your questions are already answered there.

Good Luck
Steve

ok, if the pestiscide is bad for the vft, then do you suggest the submersion again? None of the the other house plants in my house have aphids, nore the other vft, so its not like they came from something inside.
as for the dormancy, thanks for the tip on the topics
wink.gif

I have just once question: to leave in the pot, or not to leave in the pot ?
The dente *looks* better, none of the traps have since turned black. I intend to treat again with the fungicide, and to do the akai ryu at the same time, maybe the fungicide will kill the aphids, lol
will the 34 watt plant florescent I have be bright enough to do the plants any good?
there are baby plantlets in with the dente, should I repot them? how do I do that? is there a topic on that?
thanks so much, I so appreciate all this help!

Malli

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Malli @ Sep. 09 2003,11:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have just once question: to leave in the pot, or not to leave in the pot ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Leave them in the pot, put the pot in a ziplock bag and put it into the fridge somewhere where it wont get forgotten and pushed all the way to the back. (the back of the fridge is usually the coldest and in some cases its cold enough to freeze things there) I kinda like the idea of putting them in the door shelf. Check them a couple times a week to make sure they arent dry, or moldy and they should be ok.

Good luck
Steve

well, the dente is looking SO much better, its almost miraculous. I'm going to keep them out of dormancy a little longer (until I have to start using the electric heat lots), in hopes the dente will recover itself a little better before "the big sleep".
Now to deal with the akai ryu. I had a thought, though it might be just stupid, will the cold in the fridge kil the aphids? I'm really trying to stay away from a pesticide for it, because someone mentioned it could be harmful.
I'm so glad I found this forum! It saved my plant
smile.gif

Malli

I am so glad to hear that! As for the aphids the cold temps probably would not kill them just cause them to slow down. try submerging the plant for 3 days this time maybe that will work.

My dad manually treats aphids with rubbing alcohal, I was thinking to use that, since even if it does damage the leaves on the plant, they will die off in dormancy any way...

Malli

Back