What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any one have a picture?

• Thread starter restinburk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
R

restinburk

Can someone please put a picture of their largest fly trap on here so I can see it. Please put something next to it for size comparison? I am mostly interested in the mouths of the plants. Thank you!
alien.gif

Here is one of my plants:

DionaeaTrapsSize3.jpg

Here is an old one of mine...

Enjoy
Steve

vftmeasure003.jpg

One of my VFTs.  It and the other plants in this planter started as a leaf cuttings early this spring.

VFT%20trap.jpg

alien.gif

bck!

awsome traps! all of those plants were started as cuttings

this past spring? wow! tell me your secret!

peace,
technoracer

These are in a mix of 1:1 peat:course sand.  I had a rhizome that wasn't forming a nice rosette last year, so I pealed all the leaves off and stuck them in the dirt.  I kept the soil damp but, not wet and then placed them outside and dared the little suckers to die.  As you can see, they grew quite well just to spite me.
wink.gif

alien.gif

The tape measure is in Centimeters.

D2.JPG

D8.JPG

Jacko

Here is one of mine earlier this summer.
smile.gif

largetraps7-03RS.jpg

Suzanne

PlantAKiss, that's an amazing photo!

How did you get that black background? Is it a black card, or 'Photoshop' magic?

As you can see, I'm not good with photography!

Jacko

Just for fun, here is a pic of my clumping form VFT that I got earlier this summer.

Enjoy
smile.gif

Steve

cpsoct6020.jpg

Thanks for the pictures everybody! Has anyone ever seen the mouths get as big as lemons?
wow.gif

Hey Jacko

Thanks for the compliment.  
smile.gif
 I like to shoot with a black background.  It emphasizes color and helps to isolate details.  I use a sheet of rich black velvet which absorbs light well in most instances.  If there are any blotches or light reflections I correct them in Photoshop.

Restinburk...if someone told you that the traps on a VFT get as big as lemons, they were pulling your leg.  Two inches or a bit bigger is a good size trap and although I've heard of larger, no one has yet supplied a photo for proof.  There was quite a discussion on this awhile back but I never saw photo supporting claims of giant traps.

BTW...traps is the appropriate term. Flytraps aren't animals...they don't have mouths.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Woaaah! I went to the link you posted on your bogs and... YOU HAVE A TON OF FLYTRAPS!!!! It must be really neat to see so many healthy plants in one place!

SF
alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Dionaea take up about half of the new bog with over 100 plants that are either seedlings or divisions of three VFT plants that I purchased in Berkeley in 1955. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Holy moly!  3 => 100 plants!

You should throw some dead minnows into the middle of that bog and I bet you'd have all those traps closed shortly.
wink.gif

I tried the black background like plantakiss. It didn't turn out very good, but here are the pics of my largest VFT
smile.gif

BB1.JPG

BB2.JPG

That is a 50 cent piece next to the traps incase you can't tell.

Back