What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Recommendations..

• Thread starter bluejeans
  • Start date
  • Tags
    care vft
B

bluejeans

I was wondering if there was a VFT species that was heartier(sp?) or easier to care for. I like the look of the classic VFT, however, since it would be my first CP, it would probably be a good idea for me to not get the most delicate. Any advice you have would be great. I guess you might want to know that the plant will be residing in Iowa and Illinois (the Midwest). If you are unfamiliar with the area...we have cold winters and hot, humid summers. I would like to purchase it from this web site to for ease and familiarity. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Bluejeans and welcome!

If you're new to CP's, you might actaully want to start with something besides a VFT. They can be tricky for beginners (I killed several as a kid). American pitcher plants (Sarencia) are often easier to keep alive.

However, if you are gung-ho for a VFT, I haven't seen much a difference in difficulty in the different types (granted, I only have a typical, a dente and a green dragon). Just follow the care instructions, and you should be A.O.K.
biggrin.gif

The sundews are also very easy.
But if you want a vft, get a nice dente, I think it's short teeth look more vicious than the longer ones.
smile.gif

The Red Dragon is the only temperamental one in my experience. Any others are fine, maybe a typical would be best.

I've found these to be the easiest:

Green Dragon VFT
Common VFT
Drosera capensis
Nepenthes ventricosa (these can get big&#33
wink.gif

Back