What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is something i dont get

i use tap water one my plants ive been using it for over a year, but i let the water sit open container for over two days so the chemicals will disperse into the air. my plants look great and the continue to look better. Has anyone ever tried this i dont think distilled water and rain water are the types of water you can use does any agree.

Hi chin, using tap water depends on the chemistry of the water in your area and the plants you are growing, some plants like VFTs cannot take any nutrients in the soil while others like D. rotundifolia can take higher levels, also the higher the level of evaporation the quicker the minerals will build up in the soil so humidity has an effect on this too, and if your plants are outside rain can flush a great deal of the accumulating salts from the soil, or if you live in an area with a particularly low mineral content in the tap water then it will work just fine, if you call your city water supplier they should be able to provide you with a TDS (total disolved solids) reading, if I recall the cut off should be about 15. So as you can see there is a lot of factors to consider as to wether your water will work for your plants. Leaving the water out uncovered will allow the less stable chlorine compounds to evaporate but will not effect the mineral or organic salts.

Hi Chin,
You are very fortunate to have such a good water supply. The water in my area is hard and my plants would most likely die if they were watered with tap water.

Hi Cp2k,

I think I get my water directly from the east side of the sierras, I ussually use tap water mine is very pure and works great so far. It saves a lot of money having good water
smile.gif

Noah

DE has it right.

Some tap water will be fine. Depending on what is in yours.

HOWEVER

To make sure that there are no holes for thinking of exceptions, I always say distilled water or rain water. That leaves nothing to the imagination.

If your tap water works for you, stick with it. Over time there will be a build up of minerals in your soil, which will hurt the plants. It may take longer b/c of the makeup of your water, but it will happen.

Also remember that people have gone through all of this and have found out what works and doesn't work ( FOR THEM ). Every situation is different and things that did not work for some WILL work for other and vise versa.

The things that have been set forth as a guidline is to allow for the best possible outcome ( good water- plant alive, good light, humidity etc. ). It doesn't mean it is the only way, just a proven way!

You guys have it soo good! My water smells like pool water. I just said to heck with this! I went and bought an RO as some of you know. But how can you find out the ppm of the water? I think 25 and lower is great if I remember correctly. But I don't want to spend &#3630.00 ona darn TDS meter! I just want it tested. simple! Anyone know how to do this free of charge possibly?

Hi Noah,
I can tell that my water supply isn't pure because of the mineral stains that develop on my window after the sprinkler water evaporates on the window.

If anyone is using tap water I would recommend that once in a while (depending on how pure your water supply is) water the pot with distilled water and let it drain freely to leech out any mineral.

Also note that some genus of Cps are much more tolerant than others about pure water i.e. mexican pinguicula, but that doesn't mean you should water with tap water unless your water supply is low in minerals.

Exactly.

-noah

I would heartily like to second what both Jaie and CXP2K have said.

Remember tap water is NOT right for everyone, and I certainly think that everyone who uses tap water should flush periodically with distilled.

I would also like to point out that when we talk about this, some new people might come on and read that 'your doing great with tap water' and think 'well then I don't need to use distilled' and the next thing you know, they are using water that could double for cement.

I am not saying anyone has been irresponsible here by any means, I just want you all to remember to put that all important caveat in you posts when talking about tap water... let me know if I am being confusing... I might be confusing myself.. (just woke up)

Oh... and I can tell you from experience... my water comes out of the tap and you can see the calcium and lime start building up within seconds, leave a glass out for a day, and there will be tiny solids forming... a weel, lime sludge at the bottom, like when you have to much sugar in iced tea... I call my tap water instant death... don't even drink it anymore... though, I am sure it is good for staving off osteoperosis.
smile.gif

Hi! I'm a new user. This is the first time I have my own Venus Flytrap so whish me luck.

You know Mac we've been messaging back and forth and I just realized that I was completely rude and didnt welcome you to the forum
sad.gif
sorry and WELCOME TO THE FORUM
smile.gif
:cheesy: :biggrin:
And unless there is a reason I don't know about I wouldn't repot no sense in messin with a good thing.

Hello everyone,
I've been hearing a lot of things about chlorine evaporating if you just leave the water out. They now use chloramines wich are more stable and don't evaporate nearly as quick. You have to leave the water out in BRIGHT sun light for these to evaporate. So all in all its most likely better to just use distilled water.

The great water debate continues...

I try to give options for people...( who only wants to hear one way to do something.)

HOWEVER :biggrin:

For the sake of not killing the plants ( b/c they will eventually die due to build up of minerals, chemicals and anything else in it that isn't good ) I say use ONLY DISTILLED WATER.

If you try to use something else, you take a chance on killing the plant.

If you do not heed the warnings and it works. Congrats. That doesn't mean that it is always going to work for you though.

ALthough the guidelines aren't written in stone on how to take care of these plants, many are put in place for a reason. Water isn't something that should be played with.

Jaie, add RO water too. I use it and it is great! I say Use only Distilled,Rain,and RO water only!

I would say the other two, but then no one has the means to collect rain water OR can't afford a Ro system.

So to make it as simple as I can... Distilled water only ! :smile:

That leaves NO option.

Actually, I remember reading something about flytraps that said that distilled and rain water are the only water that you can use. It's suprising that your plants are doing good with tap water.

And the saga continues ( isn't that a Wierd Al song ?)

And can I complicate matters by saying that I use water from a stream?
smile.gif

Yes you can :smile:

For many people they do not have the means to get water that they need ( via a RO filter, rain, stream ) so the only other option is to use only Distilled.

I would love to use rain water, but I can't collect enough to do any good with the number of plants that I have.

So I have a RO system that drains out into a 60 gallon holding tank ALL DAY LONG ( my water bills are high
sad.gif
)

Back