What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too Big?

I have two VFTs: a common and a Green Dragon.  Just got them this spring and they are still in their original 3.5" pots.  I live in New Hampshire, USA and just over the past few weeks they have grown incredibly!  My question is: How do I know if they are too big for their pots and need to be transplanted? I can barely see the soil under all the leaves of the common!

dS5ez+9qw88lnxuqrvd2MIRG8a1Czu+B0180.jpg

The Size of the plant with the size of the pot is in my eyes perfect, i would not transplant them... they look quite healthy
wink.gif

Cya laters
Jim
confused.gif

How i know when my plants have out grown there pots is when there are thick roots slivering out of the drainage holes of the pot.... also poking your finger into the soil helps as well, if you poke your finger in it, and you hear or feel roots snap, or move, or it is hard with roots you shoudl transplant... btu i woudl not bother transplanting them, unless you divide them or what not, doke....

Cya alters
Jim

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend poking around until you hear roots snapping... might not be too favourable to your plants!

Bear in mind that your plants may have their growth limited if there isn't enough space for their roots to develop.

It looks to me that your plants could do with repotting into larger pots (4" or 5" - it's up to you). I would wait until they come out of dormancy next year though before repotting them.

My newest VFT, a red dragon, was smaller than your green dragon when I got it. I have put it into a 5" pot and it has grown massively since i had it (just 3 months).

At the end of they day if you aren't too keen on the whole repotting idea, the plants will survive in the pots that are in.. just don't poke the roots too much!  
wink.gif

Leave them alone they look very happy and healthy where they are at.
Deffinately do NOT poke around till you hear roots snapping!
SHAME ON YOU POOPHEAD for suggesting such a thing!
tounge.gif

But he is right about seeing roots comming out the bottom of the drainage holes. If they are visable you sholud repot.

Now a tip about repotting if you decide to...(although I wouldnt
wink.gif
)
Take the new pot and line with new sphagnum peat (60%) and perlite or sand (40%)
turn the pot with the plant upside down and tap the bottom of it so that the soil and the plant come out at once then place into the new pot. When you do it that way the plant doesn't go thru shock.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ptanka @ July 06 2002,16:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have two VFTs: a common and a Green Dragon.  Just got them this spring and they are still in their original 3.5" pots.  I live in New Hampshire, USA and just over the past few weeks they have grown incredibly!  My question is: How do I know if they are too big for their pots and need to be transplanted?  I can barely see the soil under all the leaves of the common!

dS5ez+9qw88lnxuqrvd2MIRG8a1Czu+B0180.jpg
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No, they look like they are very happy where they are
smile.gif
. I don't think they need to be repotted at all.

P.S. Um, it looks like there are TWO Green Dragons in the pot on the left. But don't seperate them. They will do just fine together. I know this because I am currently keeping my friends two Venus Flytraps, and they are both in the same pot and are doing perfectly together.

I think maybe you should put your plants in the sun. The Green Dragon will turn a lovely red and the common will turn pink inside the traps.
As for pot size, it seem fine. They only use their roots for sucking up water and for stability.

Back