What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat and Sand

I've noticed some of the professionals don't necessarily like using perlite. I've priced out Pure Canadian Sphagnum here, and it's just way too pricey. How do some of you who are having success with your VFT's feel about pure peat or a 50/50 blend of peat and sand?

Also, I'm looking for multiple views on which sand is best. Today I bought playground sand. On the bag it says it's used for playgrounds, sand boxes, base for potting, etc. But it also sayd it has a soil additive? Although it doesn't tell me what that additive is...
confused.gif

I can't find silica sand, and no one I've contacted has pool sand.
sad.gif

Hi,
I think all the above mixes are OK, but the healthiest growth I have had is peat: perlite 3:1

Please check out the plants on my website gallery to see the results. With sand, I have found it to be a breeding ground for botrytis as it keep wet whereas perlite absorbs moisture and encourages good root development

I find that pure peat is fine, but an airier mixture is best. Either 2:1 peat / sand or peat / perlite or even a bit of everything.

'Sphagnum' is expensive and hard to find because it is living.
'Sphagnum Peat' is easy to find; I found mine at WalMart
and cheap. It was the 'Shultz" brand. Sphagnum Peat is the growing medium. I like perlite; has good water retaining qualities
and is only slightly alkaline so it will not overwhelm the acid peat like alot of sands can (with the exception of silver sand).

The store here uses Sphagnum peat/perlite mix and they are the healthiest plants I've ever seen. I ordered several and they are doing great!

'Sphagnum' is expensive and hard to find because it is living.
'Sphagnum Peat' is easy to find; I found mine at WalMart
and cheap. It was the 'Shultz" brand. Sphagnum Peat is the growing medium. I like perlite; has good water retaining qualities
and is only slightly alkaline so it will not overwhelm the acid peat like alot of sands can (with the exception of silver sand).

The store on this site uses Sphagnum peat/perlite mix and they are the healthiest plants I've ever seen. I ordered several and they are doing great!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the tips! The peat I use is sphagnum peat, and I discovered yesterday.
smile.gif

My VFT's seem to so far be doing good, although 2 are in the origional 3 inch pots with pure sphagnum. But one of the two I got bareroot from cook's is doing well in so far in a peat/perlite 50/50 blend. The other is still struggling (blood red). I guess we'll see what happens!

Thanks again!
smile.gif

Back