What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divide and conquer

• Thread starter cushinc
  • Start date
Do these plants (red dragon) magically split in two or is there some machination for propogating their seed?
-can I make one plant into two-- if/when/how can that be done?
thanks,
Cody

Hey Cushinc

WELCOME
smile.gif

The plant will 'split' over time. You will notice 'baby' plants growing from beside the mother plant ( the larger one you have ).

Gently separate them and plant into their own pot. Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss and Perlite ONLY!!!

Top soil, potting soil are way bad for these plants.

Seed for a VFT is hard to come by and equally as hard to grow.

Plus it will take up to 5 years to get a mature plant ( that is right, 5 years
wink.gif
)

Splitting the rhizome ( bulb ) is tricky and is the other way to do it, but unless you have a sterlie place and/or something like rootone I would take the easy road
smile.gif

Thanks for the info (and the plant). Would the sprig's roots be connected somehow or does that not matter so much to the plant, and what exactly is a bulb? How are they split?
Thanks again,
Cody

The bulb ( rhizome ) is what the plant grows from. It is a large white mass right beneath the soil where the new leaves come from. When winter comes, the plant will die back to that part. That is the heart of the plant.

Sort of like a tulip. But not quite.
smile.gif

When you see smaller plants around the larger one, they are not connected by root. You can pull them away. Just be very careful about it.

You are welcome for your plant and info. That is what I am here for
smile.gif

Back