What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I order a bulb or grown plant?

• Thread starter tievsky2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
T

tievsky2

I like the idea of raising a VFT from "infancy," but can anyone tell me how difficult this is and how long before I'll get a plant worth looking at (i.e., when could I expect to see a head)? All advice is appreciated.

Hi. If you are new to VFTs, then I would recommend you buy a fully grown plant. The bulbs can take a few months before they start to do well and are good if you have a largish area that you want to fill with flytraps.

Bulbs are alot cheaper but if you order them from here I woudl recommend asking they DO NOT wad them up in a big ball of dirt. I ordered 12 bulbs once and they was wadded up in a big ball. I had 3 week prior to that ordered a couple of bulbs and they was individually seal and they are doing wonderful. But the ones that was wadded into a giant ball are...well alive I guess. They was crushed and pushed into this ball and looked aweful
sad.gif

I ordered 10 Green Dragon bulbs/plugs from this site and received them last Thursday. There was a note indicating that a 20% loss was to be expected. However, they did include a couple extra plants that would make up for any such loss.
smile.gif
I cannot say that this was done on purpose or by mistake.  
confused.gif

The bulbs arrived in a USPS box and were in a green plastic bag. Although leaves were damaged and the plants in a ball, they were easily taken out of the bag and separated. I have 10 plants in an indoor bog, all of which show 2-3 new leaves forming. One is in a fish bowl terarrium and the other in my older terrarium on my back porch.

The Green Dragon in the fish bowl is growing new leaves and traps. The one in my other terarrium is doing just as well, if not better.

Overall I am very happy with the plants I received. I am certain that all the plants that I ordered will live, including the extras. I am not expecting a VFT death at this point.

GreenDragonDay3.jpg
This is after 3 days of growth.  
smile.gif
These are growing in the indoor bog.

For the money, and if you have the time, the bulbs are a great value. The Green Dragon VFT bulbs are $0.99 each as of this posting.

In the end, its up to you which route to go. Just follow the care instructions and you will have a good time growing VFTs.

If you are a beginner CP grower, than stick with a fully grown VFT. The bulb plant is more challenging giving the growers to grow them from the start.

Make sure to tell him about the dormancy of fully-grown vs. bulb... It might make a differance...
confused.gif
Sorry i don't have the time to type that now... maybe later
wink.gif

if u are tossed up about what to do get a bulb or a full grown plant why not go half/half why not go out and see if some cp growers have any seedlings that way they are still small when u get them but u dont have to worrie about plating the bulb perfectly

sincerely
Kyle.W

I personally would go for a full plant.
While watching it through the seasons, you'll get quite the gammet of growth ranges!

If you want a flytrap with traps on it you should buy a full grown. If you want to wait a while before a plant starts to grow you should get a bulb. I would get a full grown if you new to this stuff.

Back