What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well water

• Thread starter Babytrap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly tap
B

Babytrap

Hi,  

I am a new fly trap owner.  I have been reading up and it seems everyone says not to use tap water due to the chemicals.  What if you have well water???  Is this ok?

Thanks for your help.

no
becuz it goes through the soil and the rocks and picks up minerals

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Babytrap @ Aug. 11 2003,6:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi,  

I am a new fly trap owner.  I have been reading up and it seems everyone says not to use tap water due to the chemicals.  What if you have well water???  Is this ok?

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi,

It really depends on how hard your water is.  Many people use tap or well water without any problem (must be nice
confused.gif
).

Since a lot of people use the tray method to water their VFTs, any minerals in the water will get concentrated in the tray and soil.  One way to delay this of course, is to regularly flush the pot and tray to remove most of the mineral build up.  This will not remove all of it since sphagnum peat will act like a sponge and absorb minerals as well as water, but it will slow the build up somewhat.

So the answer is you may be able to use your well water.  I would wait though, until you have an extra plant to test it on.  That way if it bites the dust, so to speak
smile.gif
, you won't have killed all your plants.

I wouldn't risk using well water unless you do tests on the water and know it doesn't have much minerals and such present.

nice av do you hyave the bigger version

I agree with the advice given by BigCK -- test the water first and try it on some expendable plants for a few months. I am fortunate to live in an area where I can use well water. In my area the city tap water is better than my well water, so for especially sensitive plants, I bring home 5-gallon jugs of city water. I let the city water sit in an open container for a day to disperse the chlorine. I have used this approach for several decades and it works for me.

Thank you very much everyone for all the help. You will hear from me again soon!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back