What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I\'ve put them outside

Yet another question! TIA, as always.
smile.gif

Since they liked it for short periods, I've decided to put my f'raps outside full-time for the summer. What I don't know is whether the setup will be OK.

I've got them between two second-year roses, southern exposure--the f'raps get full sun from about 12-2, I'm guessing, and spotty sun, shaded by the roses, for the rest of the day. I did this to keep the full blast of the sun from overheating the dark green pot, but now I'm wondering if that is not too much shade.

Should I move them into a space nearby that would get full sun from 8-8, and try to shade the pot with a white carboard wrap? I'm afraid those are my only choices. It's Columbus, OH--it'll be fairly cool here until about mid-May, then the heat will build up and by July it will be 90 F regularly until mid-August.

--Steve

Hi Steveo, personally I would put them inside for a couple of reasons. one, they will most likely need more than two hours of sun to do well, two, the roses tend to draw aphids like crazy, not to mention ants that farm the aphids and tranfer them everyware. Do not worry about the pot overheating too much, I have not heard of anyone frying their plants as long as they are sitting in water (some one correct me if I am wrong here).

steveo,
I am also in (near - Pickerington) Columbus, Oh and leave mine out in the full sun, no problems as long as they do not dry out.

Cheers,

I live in Virginia and it gets pretty hot here during the summer. Mine stayed out all year and did fine. They get full sun for most of the day and ate flies like crazy. I just make sure they are wet and have water at all times. The only pests I had to deal with were the squirrels. They killed quite a few digging them up countless times 'til I gave up on replanting them.

Suzanne

The idea with acclimizing the plants is the same as for getting a tan. At first you have to expose them for short periods, gradually increasing this. An hour in the sun for unexposed skin will lead to sunburn, and the same holds true for plants. After a week or 2 of lengthening exposure, they will certainly appreciate full sun all day, but need good attention to watering. This is how they grow in nature, and after all, Mother knows best! Remember, small pots can quickly dry out in conditions of wind and sun, larger pots will stay moist longer and heat up less.

Thanks, everyone!

It's a big pot--about a foot across and a foot high. I'll get it a bigger, light colored saucer and move it out into the full sun in a few days.

I've built a little enclosure using bamboo that keeps the rodents out.

If they seem to be waning, back to the sill they go!

--Steve

Stevo,

I wrote an article (laughing at that high falutin name 'article') that you can read in the plant care section that deals with growing cp's in the hostile South Texas environment, trust me, nothing you are dealing with up there can be any worse with what we deal with here... you know, sun bleached bones on the side of the highway and all...

any how, maybe there are some points in there that can help you as well!

I sometimes have my cp's outside in full sun. They are grown in 4" dark green pots. Within a few hours, the pots get really hot and I can feel the soil warming up. I would think this heating up of the soil would be bad, so how do you all deal with this problem? I know I know, I could get light colored pots, but the kind of pot/tray combination I need only comes in green or that pottery red color.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RamPuppy on 11
wow.gif
2 am on April 26, 2002
Stevo,

I wrote an article (laughing at that high falutin name 'article') that you can read in the plant care section that deals with growing cp's in the hostile South Texas environment, trust me, nothing you are dealing with up there can be any worse with what we deal with here... you know, sun bleached bones on the side of the highway and all...

any how, maybe there are some points in there that can help you as well!
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks--I gave it a look, and it was helpful in clarifying my situation.

I've moved them to another spot, east of the roses, so that they will get many hours of morning and noon sun, then start to get shaded in the early afternoon (2 or so). The aphids will be watched.

I'll get another, light-colored pot to act as a supersaucer--I may also implement a passive cooling arrangement I've been designing for Darlingtonia.

Thanks again, everyone.

Steve

Back