What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new plants

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hello I just bought and recieved some new vft bulbs last week from this site. There are some traps on them and I was wondering if I should do the dormacy thing or wait until next year when they are stronger.

I wouldn't do the dormancy thing yet. They don't need it.

The traps that were left on the plant may die off due to shock of transplant, so don't be alarmed
smile.gif

Anyway, wait for the winterizing of the plants.. they'll do fine without for this coming season.

What do you mean by they don't need it?

Is it because they are young, or because that batch was cultivated in such a way that they can skip this dormancy season? Or is it some terrible secret which you can't reveal?
smile.gif

We have the plants that are in dormancy during different times of the year, so if you just now receive something from us, it has been pulled from dormancy pretty recently. So it can skip this seasons dormancy, and wait until next year about this time!
smile.gif

No secrets!

Cool glad I asked
smile.gif

They are doing fine by the way one plant has a dieing leaf it wasnt looking so good but the trap was functional so I forced fed it a fruitfly hoping that it would help. By the way those buggers are a pain in the butt to catch by the wings with tweezers!
    THANKS AGAIN!

(Edited by unknownclown at 10:14 pm on Nov. 6, 2001)

you crazy boy! I never really fed my traps... the ones outside seem to catch food all on their own! but feeding is just to much work for this lazy guy... nope... me... I only drop blood worms in the nepenthes!

Well I guess I could be crazy....although I passed all of my phsycological evaluations
smile.gif
But RamPuppy, I am definately not a boy. I suppose with a name like unknownclown you couldn't tell maybe I should change it to unknownclownette
smile.gif
nahh that is to deffinately too long.
smile.gif

You know now that I think of it I bet the neighbors across the street think I'm a little batty too. I usually catch the bugs (earwigs) outside, anywhere between 10pm and midnight with a flashlight and tweezers for my larger vfts.
smile.gif
I do it then cause that's after my daughters bedtime, in case you are wondering.

Hmmmm, this discussion actually got me thinking...

The common VFTs I have were on sale only recently in the beginning of October. They are still happily giving out a few new traps, although the rate has slowed down.

What do you all think. Should I buffer them into dormancy on my window sill (quite cool there now as it's almost freezing outside) and then pop them in the fridge or should I skip dormancy this year?

thanks

did you get them from here?

Hehh... Clownette, My apologies, I am sure you are a fair and shining example of the female clown 'cultivar' of humanity.

No need to apologize RamPuppy it was an honest mistake. And as far as that shining example thing goes well, I am doing my best to be.
smile.gif

No RamPuppy, I picked them up in a store in Paris, they had just come in that day, so they haddn't had time to be harmed. They were in perfect shape, and looking quite vigourous.

They had quite a few spring leaves (most are dead now, or will soon be), and they are bringing out autumn leaves now (about one every two weeks.)

I really can't figure out whether the slowed growth is due to need for dormancy or just because my room temp is a bit cooler than ideal (i.e. to skip dormancy or not to skip, that is the question)...

Well I personally would find out where the store got them from, get in touch with the grower and ask them if they already had a dormacy period and go from there.
smile.gif

baring communication, i.e. you can't find the info out.. and it HAS slowed down, you might consider going ahead and adjusting it to your dormancy period...

I say this because if the plant was tissue cultured, it's probably just gone through a massive growth phase any how... but then, as is becoming more often the case around here sometimes, I am pulling that out of my you know what.

Back