What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plants arrived beat up

So I just got a order of a Red dragon and a Dente vft from a Canadian supplier, however the poor guys seemed to have had a rough trip.

They were sent potted (one of the pots was even cracked down one side) and the pot put into a plastic bag filled with air, the kind they put tropical fish in at the pet store. The plants must of got tossed around as they were completely covered in dirt and many of the branch's/traps broken. I repoted them and noticed that their were not many roots on the bulbs?

Do you think I should let them recover and skip dormancy for now or take advantage of the fact they have been uprooted and put them in the fridge. Both plants seems to a decent size (except I found a ball of dirt that turned out to be baby dente in the pot yay bonus&#33
wink.gif

What do you guys/gals think?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I repoted them and noticed that their were not many roots on the bulbs? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

All the bare rooted VFTs I have seen, have had a very weak root system. So this probably isn't a problem.

Also, I think it is too early to put them into dormancy unless you have artificial lighting to take them out of dormancy early.

My best advice is to buy from this site next time
biggrin.gif
(unless you are outside the U.S. and then we're not able to ship to you).
Our vfts have pretty good root systems most of the time.
Hopefully if you repot yours they'll perk up and come around.

Thanks for the advice,
I wish I could buy them from this site but I am in Canada 8( and PFT does not ship live plants here at the moment.

Put them in really wet and bright light conditions for a while. In my case, the back porch. I've had good luck (in Florida) getting VFTs to come back that arrived with huge flowers and were beat up in shipping . NOT the ones I bought from pft. I can't believe I threw some of those little green pots away. What a newb I was!

Back