What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Variations of "typical" flytraps

Well Hello everyone. I have 6 different "typical" Flytraps. I have noticed even color variations in the traps between my "blood reds". I am trying to collect for the different variations. One of my "blood red" plants is barely pink, the other is darker but not quite blood red. I am beginning to think these are different plant genetically enen though they were bought from the same place. Both were described as "blood red" . I think they could be seed propagated and herein would be where the difference lies. Any way just talkative tonight.

Even gentically identical plants can have some odd difference cause by little things, but mutation in tissue culture is commen enough
smile.gif
It seems that their is no end to VFT diversity, I have yet to get two alike
smile.gif

Hm... I have a so-called (IDed by me long time ago) Green Dragon (actually two in the same pot), and they aren't even pink. I'm beginning to think they're hets...

in the book carnivorous plants of the united states and canada , donald schnell says there are about 4-6 variations of the typical venus flytrap : typica , erecta , linearis , filformis , heterodoxa and blood red .

A typical can vary greatly! It varies from purple traps to a pinkish trap, from a avg trap to a giant trap ect. Some have an erect habit as goldtrap informed us while some have a prostrate growth.It could have a red cilia long cilia or red bands. I would say the heterodoxa(all green) should be a seperate subspecies of the dionea(my opinion
smile.gif
)Well like darcie said, the variations are endless!!.......It would be quite hard to collect them all.....
tounge.gif

Goldtrap I don't have Schnell's book handy could you describe linearis and filiformis?

The cultivars that are mentioned in Schnell's book are those recognized by Japanese growers. He does mention that there are no publications to support the cultivar status of those mentioned. Schnell also states that each of the these traits can be seen in the leaf production of most plants depending on photo period, light intensity, and the seasons.

I have been researching the different "naturally occuring" forms of Dionaea and have found 9 total variations, they are as follows:
Dionaea muscipula atrorubens = all red plants
Dionaea muscipula corymbosa = all clumping/vigorously dividing forms
Dionaea muscipula erecta = consistently upright,elevated leaves
Dionaea muscipula filiformis = thread like leaves
Dionaea muscipula linearis = linear leaves (a long and narrow leaf shape)
Dionaea muscipula prostrata = consistently ground hugging leaves
Dionaea muscipula sessiliflora = stalkless leaves(I believe these would be differentiated from prostrata in that the traps would emerge directly from the crown with virtually no petiole)
Dionaea muscipula uniflora = plants with the habit of producing only one flower
Dionaea muscipula viridis = all green(anthocyanin free/heterodoxa)plants
As you might can tell I am interested in collecting the Venus Flytrap in all its naturally occuring forms. Do not forget there is also Dionaea muscipula typica which may have several of the aforementioned tendencies in its characteristics. I thought I would share this with anyone who is interested. I personally do not believe the Venus Flytrap has been described extensively enough. If you have specimens in your collection matching a specific form feel very fortunate,I believe we see little variation now days with all the extensive cloning of similiar plants. Happy collecting. I am looking forward to trading in the future as funds allow. I want to have different gene pools of the various forms for breeding.
Stephen

Dionaea muscipula sessiliflora.That sounds pretty darn cool!

Back