What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Icps seed bank vft seed

Hello all,
I'm not sure if you'll know all of these, but if any of you have sprouted the most recent crop yet, you may know...:

1) I am assuming they are typical, but have you gotten anything else, ever?

2) I have heard that some types sprout faster than others, what do you think?

Ok, I plan on sowing the seed I got two days ago on a mix of peat/perlite on the bottom, with a little LFS on top...

Thanks!!

biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Venus Fltyrap Cultivars cannot be grown from seed, only by asexual means. The seed from the ICPS seed should be considered common. The seedlings can be all green, some can have red centers, others can be all red.

As far as germinating the seed, the ICPS has a page on the subject. I also have on germinating vft seed.

Venus Flytraps from Seed.

Yeah, you'll never get a true cultivar from seed. You may come close, it's possible, or something even better one day...but the amount of genetic variability from seed to seed is way to large. But, if it wasn't...they probably wouldn't exist anymore.
tounge.gif

Btw, if anyone ends up with any extra VFT seed of any sort, pm me, i'm sure we could work something out.

I'm planting them today, I'll keep you updated... I'm going to use a few containers with peat/pearlite in the bottom, and chopped LFS/peat on top. Should I water with tray, or very lightly from above? Thanks!!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

Back