What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trigger hairs

Hello,
In a newly opened vft trap (typical) i noticed an unusual number of trigger hairs, 5 of them, just on one side of the trap, the other half had 3. Is this like an abnormal phenomenon, or just a wierd thing?
Kevin

I'd say it's a weird thing. Every once in a while they'll do that. But hey, it helps the trap because there are now more hairs for a bug to touch.

Wes

That's wierd... after my VFTs started to recover from being poisoned (ACCIDENTALLY) by bug spray, one produced a trap with two trigger hairs... hmmmmm...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ July 31 2003,5:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's wierd... after my VFTs started to recover from being poisoned (ACCIDENTALLY) by bug spray[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
AAKKKKK Theres flies all over my flytrap!! PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST~~~~

lmao... sorry couldnt resist
biggrin.gif

Steve

***rolls eyes at Wesley***
rolleyes.gif

Hey,
Flytrapgurl, my vft's havent came in contact with any "poisons" or such...its cool looking, just like Wesley said, But hey, it helps the trap because there are now more hairs for a bug to touch.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
Kevin

i once had a trap with 6 on one side and 3-5 on the other ,but the hairs were really small and sadly the traps died a while ago
sad.gif
, but it caught alot of bugs and was one of the biggest traps i ever had
biggrin.gif

Up to 7 per side, depending on the individual clone is within "normal" (freaky isn't it?)

Do you think this may have anything to do with the size of the trap? You would think it would be detrimental to have the hairs spaced out too much, as a potential meal could avoid them, so if there is more surface to cover, more trigger hairs? Just a thought....
rolleyes.gif

But would more trigger hairs be a benefit. They could be detrimental instead. I would think that a large trap would need a corresponding increase in the amount of energy needed to open and close. More trigger hairs would increase the chance of smaller prey triggering the trap to seal, using up energy to catch prey that might not be large enough to replace the energy used to catch it. Fewer trigger hairs, would need a larger insect to trigger them in quick succesion.

Whachya all think?
confused.gif

Hello,
The trap is only 1/2 an inch in size, and on the 1 half of the trap with the 5 trigger hairs, there are 4 really close to eachother, then the other one on the other side. Steve, that is probably right, though, my vft catches alot of big prey. Vry unusual.
Kevin

Count yourself lucky! The more trigger hairs the better to catch flies!

I had one with 4 on one side and 2 on the other once!!!
biggrin.gif

I have a common vft that is currently doing the same thing. It has 5 trigger hairs on one side and three on the other. If I get my camera back, I will take some photos to share.

Back