What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a good light source?

• Thread starter dommiel74
  • Start date
i just got a full spectrum (5500K) flouresent "vita-lamp" with UVB. its used for exotic animals and supposed to be the closest thing to natural light as you can get. anyone know if this is really a good light?

um I don't think it is good to use that kind of light cp's like hot humid air I would check with someone else

Can anyone tell me if sylvenia plant light (60 Watt) would work good for vfts

Thankx a bunch
smile.gif

my flytrap is in a room that is 80 degrees and about 44% humidity, but not much sunlight. thats why i got the vita-light.
i was hoping it would "replace" the sun when i cant get it outdoors.

hey pip,

The light you are asking about will work.

Keep it 6-8 inches away from the top of the plant. leave the light on for 12-14 hours a day.

you shouldn't have a problem
biggrin.gif

The Vita light fluorescent is fine. You can get cheaper bulbs though that will work almost as well. You can mix cool white and warm white standard bulbs at 1:1. There are others such as ultralume and chroma bulbs that also come in a 5-6K range and have higher lumen output than the standard bulbs but they are a bit more expensive.

The sylvania 60watt.. is that incandescent? If it is.. careful. Those incandescent spotlight type plant bulbs get VERY hot and can fry plants quickly
Tony

Back