What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ants

W

warpig

will ants kill a flytrap? i was thinking of starting a fireant farm would they eat through the trap?
THANX
Warpig

Hey Warpig,
You're safe with ants...as long as they are 1/3 the size of the trap or smaller.
smile.gif

My vft keeps on eating ants...In some ways I wish ants would not get caught. I enjoy seeing my vft traps open with nice reddish color to it. O'well...Ants will not hurt your vft.

ROFLMAO!!

Schloaty manages to squeak out "Travis has ants in his plants...."

**falls over in hyterical fits of laughter so hard all he can do is shake....no sound comes out....tears roll down...**

GASP!
biggrin.gif

So far all of my vft's have eaten ants. one of them ate two huge carpenter ants. How long does it take for the trap to reopen.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ June 25 2003,11:O5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ROFLMAO!!

Schloaty manages to squeak out "Travis has ants in his plants...."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
biggrin.gif
ROFL!

That was a good one, schloaty

Hi again warpig,
It depends on how big the meal is. Sometimes they can re-open in 3 or 4 days....sometimes 10 days.... As long as the traps are still green (or red), they're still healthy. It just takes something I have very little of.....Patience!
biggrin.gif

If you do want to feed your traps - Don't bother using ants!!!

You VFT will benefit alot more with a housefly as eating an ant is a waste of energy - It is so small that the plant won't get much nutrience from it!

Hope this helps!
biggrin.gif

Lil_flytrap_boy!
alien.gif

LFB,
I have to disagree about the ants....They catch a lot of them in the wild, one would think, since they are rosette plants. Mine frequently catch ants on their own, and seem to benefit from them.
That said, you don't want to put one of those almost-microscopic ants in a one inch trap, but as long as you use common sense, ants work just fine.

I only meant that it would benefit MORE from a housfly than an ant!
sad.gif
Do you think I'm stupid???
sad.gif

I have fed my vft's some huge carpenter ants, they havent opened yetand its been about two weeks. One of them is getting a little blackening on the lower part of the leaf ( not the trap itself) is that bad. And one more question i fed one of my vft's a mayfly looking thing and i think some bacteria formed because now the trap is rotting just where the bug is, should i wait until i turnes completely black or not?

I would wait until it turns completely black. Then cut off the leaf. I do not think the bacteria will affect the plant at all.

Travis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you think I'm stupid???
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Heaven's LFB, NO WAY!! I meant in no fassion to insinuate this! Very sorry to have upset you!
sad.gif

I was just relating my experiences...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ June 25 2003,7:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ROFLMAO!!

**falls over in hyterical fits of laughter so hard all he can do is shake....no sound comes out....tears roll down...**

GASP!
biggrin.gif
That sounds alot like me!!! ROTFLMAOWTFLAMF!!!!!!
tounge.gif

hmm...

Everytime I use ants, It seems that they penatrate the trap with their stinger everytime.... Eventualy the trap turns black and dies..

LenG444

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ June 26 2003,01:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ROFLMAO!!

GASP!
biggrin.gif
Well, I am so glad you guys find that funny
tounge.gif
lol...wait till it happens to you! Remember Nature always wins...It is just how long can you hold it off. Darn Ants!

Back