What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red dragon

I have a red dragon and I am told that they are a bit finicky about the type of care they receive. I am wondering if anyone having one of these would through some tips my way if they require different growing condittions...thanks

Just moving to the VFT forum where it might get more response.
smile.gif

Poof!

Hi mcrwt644,
I don't treat mine any differently from the others....and it seems to be doing just fine. That said, I've only had it maybe a month or month and a half.
Nice thing is it's eating well...
biggrin.gif

I'll second Schloaty. I don't treat my Red Dragons any different than my other VFTs and they are doing fine. I've had them since last fall.

alien.gif

The only special treatment I have heard about is that to get the full colour for them you need to have them in dright light as much as possible, think all day in full sun.

I was also worried about my Red Dragons when I first purchased them. I had read several times that they were more difficult to grow and to keep long term.

I received my plants during the winter months and put them under artificial lighting. My current lighting does not bring out the nice deep red coloration, and has left the plants looking more like Green Dragons. Since receiving the plants ( from pft ) they have flowered and did not show much stress from the flowering under the growing conditions I have them under. I now am enjoying some nice red venus flytrap seedlings.

Please keep in mind that one should not let thier flytrap flower as it weakens the plant to the point of death or possible death. I believe the reason I had such good results was that I had fed the plant a nice beetle and cricket feast the month prior to flowering.

Although not the color they should be, I find them easy to grow.

Some people find that Red Dragons can have problems with too much water. If you keep the water table lower then that seems to help.

I'll water mine about 3/4 what I water my others (Like If I give the others a full tray of water I only give my red dragon 3/4 tray). When all the water runs out of the tars of my others then do I water my red-dragon (even if it has been dry for a while[up to a certain amount of time]). It seems to enjoy it. though it is green at the moment because the sun wont and cant shine through the fog and clouds. (that's the mountains of North Carolina for you LOL)

Wes
rolleyes.gif

Basically, what you'll find is that whatever you should be doing for a typical to get maximum growth, you have to do with a red dragon to get resonable growth. The number one issue with them is that they seem to require more light to use up the same amount of water. This means that higher humidty (which again lowers water usage rates) can actually be hindering to RDs while it may help typicals who sometimes drink too much.

What usually happens is they are given average light levels with average water and they get crown rot. If you grow your plant outside in the sun, you probubly won't have issues, but if it is in a terrarium or a windowsill, you'll want to cut back on the water a little and take extra steps to prevent crown rot.

My Red dragon gets some extra care as I grow it low-light right now (a style which is very difficult to balence with a RD). I consitter any inside plant low light. Mine doesn't sit in water, it gets to hold it's fill of water every few days. It's color is ... well it's a funky burgandy brown, but not a dead brown, a red and green mix brown
wink.gif
Anyhow, it's trippled in size since I got it last October, so if you have to grow it inside, you can still get a good healthy plant. It's just harder.

Back