What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this true?

I was reading a book and I went to the plant section and it said in the quiz section: Is it true there's a plant that eats frogs? Now I thought the answer would be: True -Nepenthese but it said: True - The Venus Flytrap does!  

That can't be true!!! Can it?

Lil_flytrap_boy
smile.gif

its false unless it was the tiniest frog in the world
it would leave an exoskelotan
and it may have some things harmful to the plant

iread about this in a few books and seen it happen in a few videos and pictures . so i think its possbile but its moire likely that the frog will escape and it would have to be a really small frog .

Have you ever researched on how big VFT traps get in rainforests? There traps get up to 2-6 inches, to where it can securly* trap a blue hornet. There are frogs that arent to much bigger than the first segement of your pointer finger, and besides, all the pictures are like of frogs with there hind legs sticking out.

Hi,
Trapsrock, vft's actually grow in the carolinas of the USA, and they don't get up to 6 inches. Theres a video that shows a vft closing on a small tree frog, and encyclopedia encarta 96' sofware shows a frog in a small clip getting caught. Jmenprkr, it wouldn't have to be the smallest frog in the world. I have seen frogs poking around my vft's in a small, but relatively average sized frogS in my mini bogs that could easily be trapped, not the whole frog, but just its forebody.
Kevin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jmenprkr @ Aug. 01 2003,5:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it would leave an exoskelotan[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Nonono... it would leave a skeleton. A little too used to talking about exoskeletons, eh? LOL
tounge.gif

Greetings,
FTG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Aug. 02 2003,06:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jmenprkr @ Aug. 01 2003,5:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it would leave an exoskelotan[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Nonono... it would leave a skeleton. A little too used to talking about exoskeletons, eh? LOL  
tounge.gif

Greetings,
          FTG[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ya lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ Aug. 02 2003,05:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi,
  Trapsrock, vft's actually grow in the carolinas of the USA, and they don't get up to 6 inches. Theres a video that shows a vft closing on a small tree frog, and encyclopedia encarta 96' sofware shows a frog in a small clip getting caught. Jmenprkr, it wouldn't have to be the smallest frog in the world. I have seen frogs poking around my vft's in a small, but relatively average sized frogS in my mini bogs that could easily be trapped, not the whole frog, but just its forebody.
                                    Kevin[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
o i didnt know frogs were so small
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
sad.gif
wow.gif

I have a video on cp`s called Death Traps that actually shows a tiny frog or toad being trapped in a vft.

When I was much younger, I found a small tree frog on the trail around Serpent Mound in Ohio. The frog was smaller than the fingernail on my pinkie. I remember seeing a small light green dot on the trail hopping along. I was able to catch it and show my parents. The things you remember when you were a kid...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (John Milford CT @ Aug. 02 2003,06:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a video on cp`s called Death Traps that actually shows a tiny frog or toad being trapped in a vft.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
i've seen that video , not very imformative and lil boring but it was the only video about cps in the whole library . its a really old video too , when was it made .

In poor conditions, a tadpole will leave it's pond at the same size it was when it first hatched as a tadpole. Aka .5cm, so yah, that would be easy prey for a vft.

And aside from a specially bred plants, a vft's trap won't usually get over two inches, with most being closer to an inch.

I also have the video "Death Trap" and yes, it does show a VFT closing on a small frog, but later in the video it shows "the rest of the story" and the frog easily broke out of the closed trap and walked away!
the frog was about as long as the trap, and far too strong for the trap to hold on to..the trap did close, but the frog easily broke free..

I dont think there are any frogs small enough to *stay* stuck in a VFT..so I have to say, no, a VFT can not catch and digest a frog.

Scot

Scotty,

I would have to disagree. I VFT could digest a frog, just not usually hold onto it long enough to. Plus the plant probably would get a stomach ache.

have you ever seen spring peepers they are usualy only 1\2 an inch and newly metamorphisised ones would be even smaller! so yes it is possible for a vft to cath and digest a frog.

Back