What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commercially grown

I am wondering if you can transplant a vft from a pot with sphagnum only (like the ones at lowes and the such) into a peat, sand, or perlite mix without the plant going kaput. Or should I wait until dormancy and just pull all the sphagnum away and plant the bare roots? I suppose this goes for most cps.

Yes you can repot if you like. I use 50/50 peat and sand for mine. The plant may look a little stressed for a while right after, but it should be fine.
Good luck
Steve

I always repot VFTs I rescue from Lowes, etc.

I knock the plant out, carefully unwrap the bulb/roots and soak in water with a drop or two of Superthrive for 30 minutes or so. Then I repot in a 4 to 6 inch deep container with a mix of 50:50 sand:peatmoss mix. I put the plant in partial shade or indoors under lights for a week or so before placing it where it can get full sun.

I hope this helps.

WildBill

ps: You can download my VFT Propagation Handout from www.NECPS.org (go to "Documents")
biggrin.gif

It should'nt matter that the new medium is a new blend. I don't think the plant would care... Come to think it would be happy isf it had just come form lowes.LOL!
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Wes

Back