What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it too late?

Just a heads up on Perlite. I use to get my perlite from Lowes, but they no longer carry the brand I normally buy. They now have the Miracle Grow brand and it contains fertilizers. So, watch your labels and make sure the perlite has no fertilizer in it.

Nick, I noticed that too. I wasn't going to buy the miracle gro kind from Lowes, just the normal kind from Walmart.

Avoid clay pots, glazed ones r ok though.

Ok, I bought some Canadian Spagnum Peat Moss, Perlite, pots and some coffee filters.  Hopefully, I'll be able to plant them tonight.
smile.gif

I've seen anywhere between 50/50 and 70/30 Peat Moss and Perlite? How much does it matter?

The VFTs I buy and the one in my other thread is just pure moss peat.

Alrighty, I planted my seeds. I started with a 4" pot, with some coffee filters lining the very bottom. I proceeded with a 50/50 mix at the bottom half and gradually moved to almost 100% peat at the top. I poured some distilled water through it to moisten it, and then put my four tiny seeds (dang they are small) onto the top and dropped a drop of water on top of them for safe measures.

I covered it with a plastic bag with holes in it to help retain moisture.

I guess all there is now to do is wait...about how long till I will be able to see activity?

Also, I'm waiting till dormancy to move my other plants to a large pot...I can't let all this soil go to waste.

Pur peat works, but rotting is more likely with pur peat.

Sounds like you are doing everything pretty well!
smile.gif

You should get something in about six weeks!

Good luck!
FTG

Six weeks?!?
wow.gif
 I dunno if I'm patient enough for this.  
confused.gif
 Now I wish I planted them six weeks ago.  
rolleyes.gif

I know, I know. I feel the exact same way with my seeds that I planted two and a half weeks ago. ONLY TWO AND A HALF MORE WEEKS TO GO FOR ME! WOOHOO!!! LOL! Well, your time will come. Don't worry. Just be patient, give them TLC, and... "Life will find a way."

P.S. Check out my post entitled "My vft seedling journal" for continuous updates on the seeds
wink.gif

Whoops... my big error for the day. It's not six weeks. It's 2-3 weeks. I found that out in the chatroom just now. STUPID MEEEE!!! ***hits head incessantly*** Where the HECK did I get "six weeks"?!

*gives FlyTrapgirl some aspirin and a pillow*

Don't feel bad, I'm sure the seeds weren't going to listen to you anyways.  
rolleyes.gif

I just sowed my seeds a few days ago. I din't have any spare pots and I ran out of moss/sand planting my D. rotundifolia, so I sowed them with some of my other plants. Two in each of my S. Leuco pots, one with my big purp, and one with my drosera (don't worry, I have pots now and I plan to order more soil soon). I can;t wait for them to sprout!

i think that big venus flytraps with small pots grow really long leaves. but i'm not sure

Mat_man444-Not quite true there fellow.
tounge.gif
Long leaves form when the plant lacks good light or when it's summer, not small pots. In Jhaluska's case, it's summer. If the leaves r long because of lack of light, the plant's leave(petioles) should be unsturdy and floppy. There are other exeptions to long leaves to. That is if you have a southwest giant, dingley's giant, spider, or erecta.

wink.gif

Ftg its heteredoxa I believe.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks!!! I've been scratching at myself with that question for ages...

Edit:replying from p.1

I've used the miracle grow peat bags and perlite my plants seemed to grow faster and healthier (atleast my young vfts)
I saw no negative effect on them. though I don't recommend anyone chance it I only used it because I had no alternative
(within riding distance)

Back