What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does a VFT know when to stop catching bugs?

I have my VFG indoors but I guess theres small insects around the window. its the same ones that came with the trap, I hope they didnt lay eggs or anything. Anyways, today I saw 2 bugs in one trap. One poor bug has half his body sticking out and is still trying to get out after 3 hours. The other one is all the way in there still kicking. I notice a bottom trap had trapped a big bug, theres a big dart spot inside.

Im not even feeding it. I know your only suppose to give it about 6 insects a month. Im already at half my quota. These are tiny bugs though. I don't know what they are. They dont fly, but they hop around on the water. They are not mosquitos.

I gota say when I saw those bugs in the traps I was very proud.

Hi SativaKing

I wouldn't worry about bug quotas. :) Remember these plants grow naturally outdoors and catch as many bugs as happen to get into the trap. It may be a lot, it may be a few. My flytraps are outdoors and at any given time, almost every trap has a bug (mostly flies) in it. They also don't have to feed at all.

And just a note, if a bug body part is hanging out of the trap, it might rot the trap as bacteria can get in and cause problems. But again, that happens in nature too.

Suzanne

Back