What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green scales on the peat

• Thread starter tricky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
Today i checked on my VFT and on the surface of the peat, on some places there is greenish flakes. I dont know what it is but i hoped that you guys could try and tell me what it might be a possible cause and the effect and any cure/prevention? I'll try and get a picture soon but maybe yyou could give some advice in the mean time?
James

Could you be more specific about the flakes? Dry (like plastic), soggy, big/small, etc.

My guess is that it could be perlite with algae growing on it. Perfectly normal. Perlite is that crunchy styrofoam-like substance...

Maybe new plants of a different sort popping up?

i'll gow with perlie whatsitcalled they are pretty small and moist
James

sometimes the perlite will come up to the top of the pot and turn green if you think its something harmfull or you dont like it scrape it off. You should know if its perlite though just pick up a piece if its hard and crunchy like yet soft enough to mash. its gotta be it....I think anyway
smile.gif

Until we see a pic I would go with that answer.
wink.gif

Hi,

Its the first stages of moss growing on the perlite, give it a few weeks and it will spread onto your 'soil' and become proper moss eventually. The moss is fine as long as it doesn't swamp your plants, be careful of mould developing though.

looks like its moss! it is going all curly!!!!
James

Back