What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

!HELP! the traps are dying

F

fernanman06

HELP my fly traps leaves are growing but when the traps start to develope they turn brown and die.  it first started when i transplated it. there was one long root, is that wrong? Do i need fertilizer? what should i do to get the traps to grow back?
thanks for helping

Hi fernanman06 and welcome to the forum
biggrin.gif
!
It sounds like you might be having transplant shock. Transplanting is usually done in the spring just as the plant begins to come out of dormancy.
It could also be the result of using regular potting soil and or tap water. Both contain minerals or fertilizer that can kill a vfts roots. If you used regular potting soil you need to re-transplant into sphagnum peat moss mixed with sand or perlite. If it's tap water then rinse the soil thoroughly to flush out minerals left by the tap water. You can use distilled, rain, or RO water to do this. Keep the pot setting in ½" or so of water to keep the soil moist and once it recovers give it lots of direct sunlight.

thanks for answering, i thought i had peat moss potting soil and i always give my vft distilled water. do u think i should buy new soil from this web site, and what kind should i buy
thanks so much

do u think the soil could be too wet i have it outside to dry the soil a little bit

Peat moss potting soil? Is that a mix of peat moss with other things? If it has other things such as fertilizer or anything else with chemicals/minerals I would transplant again...
Oh and the soil should be moist, and unless you placed the pot in a really deep dish of water I doubt you have it tOo wet. Just always keep the soil moist and never let it dry out. As BigCarnivourKid said, just leave the pot standing in 1/2" to 1" of water (distilled, RO, rain). O and if its an unglazed clay pot, it may not be good because it dries out a little faster than plastic pots, and also, the minerals from past uses or water will tend to stay in the clay, not good for carnivorous plants.

um what kinde of peat?
confused.gif

make sure there are no minnerals or any growing agents in the soil as for wetness I dont think that that is he problem because otherwise the leaf would not develope right too
I belive that it is eather the stuff u put it in or just a shock
if the leaves start to die then quickly let us know

IF it is in shock then what can i do to help get it out of shock and get it healthy again
sad.gif

Back