What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dente?

Here is a plant that I got on sale from the hosts of this website. Is this what they call a "Dente"? Also, were the bulbs dormant? And is this plant coming out of dormancy? Do I take it that the leaves grow much longer in the growing period?

1051285765_0.jpg

Tim,

Your pictures aren't posting. I don't think you can link to pics on that site.

You seem to be right. I keep using up all my space on the PFT account, and going to the trouble to put the pics on my website is not worth the time. I'll have to find out another way to easily post pics here.

Does this show the picture?

http://www.ourcpsite.com/wwwboard/messages/2955.html

Nope, I had that problem too. Seems that you can't use any of the links from an outside source.

I am curious to see the pic on this one as I just received the same one. So maybe I can help, or at least get confused with you.
wink.gif

5 minutes ago, the picture showed for me, but now it does not. When I saw the picture, it appears to be one of the VFT forms with dentate-type teeth. Often the first traps produced after dormancy have long and upright petioles and later traps become more compact with shorter petioles. The photo shows the more compact form. As to whether it has had dormancy, you need to get that info from the producer directly.

As for the name 'Dente' see the recent discussion
Topic: Dente, dentate, dentate traps, etc, Are they the same?
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....;t=2000

According to Barry Rice, the ICPS Database, to be proper: "The official and correct name for all these cultivars [ed: those with dentate teeth] is 'Dentate Traps'

This should work

106-0635_IMG.JPG

I see the dente vft! Nice red mouths to it. I got one not to long ago from pft and they are one of my favorate vfts. I also see you have many more
biggrin.gif
wow.gif
. Looks like a good collection! Good Job!

Travis

Wow, that looks very much different than the one I have. How deep did you bury the rhizome?

Tim, that's a nice looking 'Dente'.  I just got mine today
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
.  I got the double plant option.

VFT%20Dentate%20traps.jpg

As for dormancy and leaf shape.  The plants come ready to grow from PFT.  The leaves, I think, will get a little longer this summer based on how my typicals and 'Dragons' grew last year.  The short stocky leaves could be due to coming out of TC  or a short 'microdormancy' that TC plants are given to prepare them for life outside the tube.  Those are my guesses.  Maybe one of our TC gurues can educate us on that?
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Must say, I think they are better looking in real life than as a pic on someones web page.
smile.gif

BigCK
From your photo it liiks like you got more than'doubles'. Do I see at least 4 different growing points in addition to the large central one?

Hehe, yeah.  There's at least four itty bitty guys and there might be one or two more, but they are too small and too close together to tell without getting rough and possibly damaging some leaves on the two bigger plants.

Talk about hitting the jackpot BCK!
biggrin.gif
wow!

I would say that the majority of the 30 or so vfts I've bought from this website were more than one.

BigKid, you'll love yours. I was just watching one of those ugly house flies two or three days ago. It tricked one trap, then the other just munched it. Even in my greenhouse, they pig out all the time. At the end of the year, I hope to repot all of mine to see how many I get.

Regards

Tim,
I agree with you. I have got several plants from PFT and I've always got my monies worth and then some
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. Good, healthy plants that show few if any signs of shock from shipping and they are always in good shape. I took the picture of my new 'Dentes' after giving them a few spritzes to get some specks of peat off the leaves and that was it.

I just got my first Vft from pft a few weeks ago (also a dente), and they're putting up new traps like there's no tomorrow! I also got the double potted option, but I think there are at least three full plants in my pot in addition to an incredibly tiny one. Definately worth it! To think I almost bought plants from Lowes (Don't laugh, I was young and naive).
smile.gif

Back