What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the biggest a flytrap....

whats the biggest a flytrap's trap has ever been recorded??

Hmmmm... I'm not sure... I was wondering the exact same thing today. It's probably 3-4 inches... anyone know?
confused.gif

i think it is also about3 5 inches sorry ftg had to do that

It's okay.
smile.gif

Where is this information coming from? Its always good to have documentation to back up "statistics." Anyone have a book or website to refer to? It would be interesting to see.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Moving to the Venus Flytrap Forum.
smile.gif

I recently got a Big Mouth Venus flytrap that is very young and not very big. I believe the Big Mouth Venus is able to produce traps at 2 inches.

As for a common venus flytrap, they can be over 1 inch and can also approach 1 1/2 inches.

Here are my largest traps (these are commons):

DionaeaTrapSize1.jpg

DionaeaTrapsSize3.jpg

Ahh, the power of Cheese!
biggrin.gif

That big mouths is Beautiful! Where did you get it?

I saw VFTs with traps at least 3 inches long at the North Carolina Botanicla Garden's bog garden.

Naw..the biggest one is a 2 inch trap from Mike king. Mike if you read this do post a pic for us if you can.

Nick, I also have a bigmouth, to make sure it's real, do you notice any different colour in the traps? It produces intense purple traps, mines is only light purple at the moment.

3 inch trap would be huge! My biggest trap is about an inch...most of them are smaller.
rolleyes.gif
Maybe someone could post a picture of their 2 to 4 inch trap here
alien.gif
. Nice flytraps Nick!
smile.gif

Tra is

Mine aren't all that impressive, but then again I've only had them for about 2 years. The biggest traps I've had are about 3/4"-1".

Wes

Just to let everyone know, the photos I posted above are not of my Big Mouth. My Big Mouth is just coming out of dormancy as it was an import from Australia. I did not import the plant either as someone else had already done the importing.

o ok i thought it was big mouth

I have a "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright" VFT with traps approaching 2 inches long. I got the plant last summer from Phil Faulisi. I am hoping for really monster sized traps for our NECPS CP show in October - Halloween & CPs how cool will that be!!

The plant is sooooo awesome cause I can feed it wasps and the traps don't rot from too large a meal.

When I get some film I will take some pictures. Maybe I can carefully place a Quarter in it for scale too.

WildBill

Here is one of mine...don't know if it is a particular cultivar as the CPs at my local greenhouse are never specifically labeled. But its got some dang big traps! There's a 50-cent piece for reference.

largetraps7-03RS.jpg

Holy moly Plantakiss! That's huge!
My biggest VFT has traps about 1 1/4 inches. The plant itself has a diameter slightly greater than a two liter soda bottle. I'd guess around 6 inches...maybe a little more.

Bill,
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright" VFT with traps approaching 2 inches long. I got the plant last summer from Phil Faulisi. I am hoping for really monster sized traps for our NECPS CP show in October - Halloween & CPs how cool will that be!!
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You ARE going to make some cuttings of that sucker, right?
rolleyes.gif
alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WildBill @ Aug. 04 2003,05:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Too much of a cross will make the plant revert to a typical plant, esp. crosses of flytraps barely different from a typical. Some of my large typicals last year sent out monster traps that are quite capable of eating a wasp! Too bad they are too crowded in the pots, wich leads to smaller growth.

Posted this previously..
New trap just maturing and starting to open.

No it is not some fancy pants named variety.
Tony
vft.jpg

Back