What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bottom leaves turning black

T

Tower

Well, I have had my VFTs for about 2 weeks now. I put them in an aquarium and everything looked great until about 4 days ago. I started seeing a leaf on one plant turning black, it was against the soil. Now I have several leaves on both plants turning black. It seems only to be leaves that are at the bottom of the plant, by the soil. Any ideas. I make sure they get good air circulation too. I am going to clip off the black leaves, ensure lots of sunlight and water....and ??

I think we need more info first. Heres a couple questions:
1. Whats your soil?
2.Do you use distilled water?
3.How much sunlight do they recieve?
4. How hot and humid is it.
If only a couple leaves turn black it may just be natural. It should put out some more leafs soon though.

The soil... Canadian peat (The stuff recommended on the flyer that came with them) from Wal Mart. Water.. Rain water or water from our pond. Sunlight...Lately 4 or 5 hours a day plus a 25 watt bulb above the plants for several hours. Humidity....not a lot They are in the aquatrium with a cover but I open the top during the day for air.

They sound fine to me. In about 2-7 days you should see a new leaf or two. With the water try to put out your own very clean bucket and let it catch water.

Thanks for the help.
Ed

Back