What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What not to feed traps

I think that with the settling in of spring and coming of summer, we will be getting (have gotten already) lots of new growers and enthusiasts. I think it would be good to mention things not to give your VFTs.

Recently, I have found out that they really don't like to get stung by bees, so if you are feeding it a bee remove the stinger first. Of course remove the head too as it will try to eat it's way out of the trap. Even with a missing head it will sting and kill the trap though. I fed my Red Dragon 2 bees Saturday, one trap is doing great, the other one ended up getting stung and is turning black, not a good thing and it will have to be removed.

Also, do not feed any carnivorous plant moths. They have alot of pollens and feramones that make the plant very sick sometimes, as a general rule just don't do it, there are lots of other bugs out there.

Venomous spiders are also unhealthy I have been told. As rewarding it may be to feed that black widow that was on your pillow to a plant, I have been told it is bad.

Anyone else with experiences lets get them up ok.

(Edited by Flint at 12:57 pm on May 1, 2002)

never, ever feed you traps lasagna...they just dont like it

Don't feed them mealworms. I've never done it, but several of you mentioned how it would rot the traps.
Also in general, don't feed them anything that takes a long time to digest since that will also rot the traps.

Do not feed them when it is cold. Average temp here has been about 50 F and one of my fraps has been chewing on a sowbug (that it caught on its own) for 3 weeks. No rotting, yet. No growth spurt, either.

--Steve

MINE HAS BEEN EATING A SOW BUG FOREVER TOO! NO rot yet, but there are some of thos carcass chewer bugs...

well: THINGS NOT TO FEED YOUR FLYTRAPS:
Hamburger, or any other food intended for humans

little brothers and sitsters, annoying parents, and so on... feed only insects.

I have had problems with ants (too acidic) and sow bugs that crawl into my traps, sow bugs I think are a hit or miss as far as whether their shell will be to hard.

Also, daddy long legs or harvester mites, both can be a hit or miss, even though they are venemous, I have had my flytraps digest them with no harm.

Lady Bugs are a big NO NO they will kill the traps every time
sad.gif

NO GUT-LOADED CRICKETS(crickets that have been fed something recently).

are my vfts gonna be fine if i feed them superworms, beetles, butterflies, grasshopers, spiders and crickets?

plus, where on the net can buy live insects?

smile.gif

Don't feed it fingers!!! They do not like to be teased.

And Jian, you can get bugs at the pet store. Saves you money in shipping.

Any pet store in your area should have meal worms, crickets, and things like that.

You could also try a bait shop for bugs too!
smile.gif

sugar is a no no, so is salt, and pepper. I think they like tlc (no not the group)!!! Hmm.... I know ine dont like otehr parts of themselfs being sucked on. Ive tried to feed it a small leaf, trap died... Nothing smaller than a worker ant, not enough enph.

- Thats my 2 cents

Well, that sure leaves us a lot of choices...
smile.gif

incidentally, flies are probably the best option. I have had success with most bugs as long as they are approxametaly the right size.

Another no-no is earthworms.... Especially if they don't quite fit. That was quite a interesting experience, especially to the nose
smile.gif

-Noah

To Summarize......

NO food intended for human consumption.

NO Insects larger than the size of the trap.

NO insects with hard shells that could take a long time to digest

NO insects containing damaging substances such as formic acid etc (larger sized ants)

NO relatives, neighbours, children or pets.

So that leaves

small flies!!!
smile.gif

Can I feed a vft slugs or other slimy creatures exept worms?

Triggering the traps should be saved for very special occasions, as this exhausts the ATP in Dionaea quickly, and it is hard for the plant to replace this molecule which fuels the trap closure. Remember, there are no nutrients in the soil for them to easily regain phosphorous, so they need their energy to trap prey to build up their ATP reserves. My plants which grow outdoors really do trap more flies than anything else: almost every trap has prey inside it. They are very good at what they do, and require very little assistance from me.

Back